Search for University Jobs in Senior Administration
Director, Sports Operations (5173U) -
University of California, Berkeley
Director, Sports Operations (5173U) -
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptanceacademic and artistic, political and culturalmake it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: June 6, 2019
The Department of Intercollegiate Athletics consists of more than 275 staff members and coaches and sponsors 30 varsity sports programs. These 30 programs include more than 850 student-athletes who participate in the various sports programs annually within the National Collegiate Athletics Association (NCAA). We are currently seeking a Director, Sports Operations who will work within the department's Intercollegiate Services unit and assist various sports teams with their operational needs.
- Liaise between sport coaches and Travel Coordinator to manage arrangements for team travel, including but not limited to hotel arrangements, ground transfer, practice facility approval, game credentials, itineraries, practice times, meals, etc. This includes travel for coaches, teams, recruits and officials.
- Develops itineraries and rooming lists and reconciles team expenses after traveling.
- Liaise between assigned sport coaches and various departmental and campus units i.e. Event Management, Facilities, Scheduling, Business Office, HR, Travel, Risk Management, Media Relations, Compliance, Marketing, Ticket Office, Development, Conference Services, Parking & Transportation.
- Coordinates outgoing communications for assigned sports to donors and alumni.
- Troubleshoot day-to-day operation issues that coaches may encounter.
- Assist coaches with preparing and creating budgets for next fiscal year
- Assist coaches with tracking yearly spending and managing budgets to stay within assigned cap
- Collaborates with coach to coordinate recruiting activities, including managing recruiting database, mailings, and arrangements for official and unofficial visits, and recruiting gate list.
- Reconcile recruiting expenses after on and off-campus recruiting activities. Including submission of compliance forms.
- Assist coaches with booking travel for visiting students.
- Arrange recruiting travel for coaches, including booking flights, making hotel and/or car reservations.
Game Day Management:
- Includes all aspects of preparation for competitions, managing staff during the game, troubleshooting issues, reconciling expenses, etc.
- Collaborate with coaches to develop the finalized competition schedule and work with scheduling office to ensure that the appropriate facility is reserved.
- Prior to competition, communicates with visiting team about competition logistics.
- Coordinate player and coach ticket request list for home and away contests.
- Assist with stats and game management in home events, as needed.
- Special events include but are not limited to team banquets, pre-season games, donor events, tournaments, and post-season play.
- Negotiate, secure, and implement arrangements for special events including but not limited to, caterers, site inspections, travel, hotel arrangements, etc.
- Secure ground and equipment transfer, practice facility approval, site credentials, itineraries, etc.
- Manage communications surrounding team banquets and other special events.
- Collect payments from all banquet and event guests as required.
- Assist in the collection and submission of PE grades from assigned Head Coaches.
- Manages the Post Eligibility/Medically Ineligible student-athlete work program.
- Assists with the New Coaches Orientations.
- Troubleshoot issues with the web-based recruiting and communications software, JumpForward.
- Must have demonstrated experience providing administrative support in a professional setting
- Familiarity with creating, preparing or managing budgets
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent computer skills
- Exceptional communication skills, both written and verbal
- The ability to manage multiple tasks, remain organized, deal with a heavy workload and prioritize work
- Ability to work some evenings and weekends
- Knowledge of all NCAA rules and regulations and experience working in D1 athletic programs
- A Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience.
Salary & Benefits
- Experience with web-based recruiting software, Jump Forward
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in intercollegiate athletic operations
- Experience with youth sport programs.
This is an exempt, monthly paid position. Annual salary is commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
This position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter required to report the observed or suspected abuse or neglect of children, dependent adults, or elders to designated law enforcement or social service agencies. We reserve the right to make employment contingent upon completion of signed statements acknowledging the responsibilities of a Mandated Reporter.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://jobsprod.is.berkeley.edu/psp/jobsprod/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL?Page=HRS_CE_JOB_DTL&Action=A&JobOpeningId=26898&SiteId=1&PostingSeq=1
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |