Academic Career & Executive Search is pleased to assist Adler University in their search for an Associate Vice President, Student Engagement and Career Services.
This is a remarkable opportunity to join a successful university poised for continued growth. Adler University seeks a dynamic, proactive, and highly skilled student engagement leader to bring their proven record of accomplishment to the role.
The ideal candidate thrives in a fluid, dynamic, fast paced environment dedicated to continual improvement and employee development. The AVP possesses exceptional communication skills as they work across three campuses. As an outward facing and engaging leader, the AVP excels in establishing and maintaining close, high functioning and productive working relationships with students, colleagues, and the community. The AVP is the center for student engagement, communication, and outreach. This position is a highly visible leader proactively identifying and communicating information about opportunities, issues, events and the key advisor to the student government. The successful leader has passion and vision in helping students through their active listening and involvement and developing programming to support these needs and capitalize on their educational experience at Adler University.
The Associate Vice President (AVP) of Student Engagement and Career Services reports to the Vice President for Administration and is responsible for providing services to support the quality of student life as well as the development of resources and programming in the area of career services. Direct reports include Director of Student Affairs and Career Services.
The AVP serves as the chief student advocate in the negotiation of University policies and procedures, as a primary information resource to faculty, staff, and administration in the advisement of students, and as the director of a range of student support services (e.g. ability services, international student support, Title IX training and administration, student adjudication, academic assistance).
Responsibilities will include providing leadership and management of professional staff, and department operations. Areas of focus for the AVP include the support and retention of Adler University students across the Chicago, Vancouver, and Online Campuses; the expansion of career services and supports for students across online and ground campus environments; the support of the institution’s goals of enrollment growth; and the provision of leadership to the University’s commitment to a diverse and inclusive learning environment.
- Provide vision, leadership, and direction to all aspects of student engagement and career services at Adler University across the Chicago, Vancouver and Online campuses
- Provide leadership and direction in creating and maintaining a healthy campus environment and student wellness through services, programs, and innovative learning experiences beyond the classroom while encouraging a sense of community among students, faculty and staff
- Promote strategies and programs designed to positively impact student persistence and increase student satisfaction
- Expand and further develop student engagement and appropriate supports for students in online programs
- Create a student experience focused on a campus culture that promotes student success in a diverse environment that promotes the success and inclusion of all students
- Work extensively with graduate and undergraduate students both formally through student governance and informally through specific initiatives, responding to student needs and concerns and facilitating students’ involvement in the life of the campus
- Develop and manage internal student communication
- Promote knowledge of and compliance with applicable laws, regulations and policies
- Administer and supervise compliance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, ADA, and institutional grievance processes and procedures
- Ensure consistent, prompt, and thorough investigation of on- and off-campus incidents involving alleged violations of university policy and oversee the enforcement of University Policies and the statement of Student Rights and Responsibilities
- Direct international student support and provide support for study abroad coursework
- Explore innovative approaches to enhance student engagement
- Foster collaborations with academic units and programs
- Represent the University, as appropriate, in the community and in professional organizations
- Lead internal and external committees and task force on various initiatives
- Liaison with the State and local community on issues related to student life and well-being
- Develop and sustain a team environment across the three campuses of the University
Required Qualifications and Skills:
- Master’s degree required
- Minimum of five years of progressive and relevant responsibility and leadership in student affairs at the level of Director, Assistant Dean, or Dean at comparable institutions
- Evidence of successful collaborations with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders
- Skilled, effective communicator and an inclusive decision-maker who is transparent with staff and students
- Success working effectively within a complex, multi-campus university structure and a philosophy of shared governance
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice and student advocacy, including commitment to examining and providing solutions to barriers that students face within a system of higher education
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion
- Demonstrated knowledge and implementation of best practices for student success in online and ground campus environments, critical student issues, crisis response and higher education trends
- Strong experience in the interpretation of policies related to risk management, student conduct, and Title IX requirements
- Highest level of authentic rapport with students and staff
- Understanding of the importance of fundraising and development initiatives in student affairs
- Strong, proactive communication skills
- Masters in student administration or related field
- Direct student experience in graduate education
- Background with online learning
About Adler University:
Adler University is a private university with three campuses, Chicago, Illinois, Vancouver, British Columbia and online campuses offering master and doctoral programs to more than 1,500 students. Established in 1952 Adler University continues the pioneering work of the first community psychologist Alfred Adler by graduating socially responsible practitioners, engaging communities, and advancing social justice. Adler University continues this work to graduate students as socially responsible practitioners-educated to be effective personal and social change agents in the pursuit of justice. Faculty and students-along with the Institute and Centers-are pursuing and producing unprecedented work on social issues including immigration and detention, social exclusion, the social determinants of mental health, LGBTQ mental health, and parenting. Adler University is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission. Learn more at: http://www.adler.edu
For 68 years, the institution has adhered to the Adlerian principles upon which it was founded and will continue to do so. The Board of Trustees has recently reset and extended Adler University’s 2015-2020 Strategic Plan through 2020 – see more information about related accomplishments described in Adler’s annual report here.
Living in the Area:
Chicago offers something for everyone. For those desiring an energetic urban lifestyle, Chicago offers 77 different neighborhoods each with their own distinct personality. For those who want the suburbs, the area has well-established and new-style suburbs just outside the city and within an easy commute.
The city offers activities for everyone from some of the nation’s best restaurants and bars for foodies, art and theater, sports, and shopping. The Lakeshore offers 26 miles of beautiful beaches and 18.5 miles of trails and green space for hiking, biking, and outdoor activities. The warm weather brings some of the best art, food and music festivals in the nation.
Chicago industry is robust and vast spanning finance, engineering, health care, government, pharmaceuticals and transportation with major firms headquartered in Chicago or the greater Chicago area. The city has become a well-educated, cultured, and open-minded city that is a wonderful place to live.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received and should include a cover letter and CV. Please be sure to apply through the following link and do not email your application. https://acesrch.applicantstack.com/x/detail/a21esjy7p8i3
Inquiries, referrals and nominations are treated confidentially and can be sent to: Jennifer Muller, Academic Career & Executive Search at Jennifer@ACESrch.com.
Equal Opportunity Employer
It is the policy of Adler University that all persons are entitled to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) protection. The University does not discriminate against any individual for employment on the basis of age, religion, race, color, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, marital status, physical or mental disability, military status (including unfavorable discharge from the military), or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law.
As part of the Adler’s equal employment opportunity policy, Adler will also take affirmative action to ensure that minority group individuals, females, disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, other protected veterans, Armed Forces service medal veterans, and qualified disabled persons are introduced into our workforce and considered for promotional opportunities.