Eastern Connecticut State University
Academic Career & Executive Search is pleased to assist Eastern Connecticut State University in their search for a Provost. The University seeks an accomplished, student-centered, strategic leader with a commitment to academic excellence and a deep understanding of a liberal arts education.
The ideal candidate is a cutting-edge, results focused, academic leader with a vision for the future of Eastern and the ability to lead faculty and staff in establishing and achieving common goals. A solid record of innovative program development and enhancement is required for success. The position requires expertise in teaching, scholarly research, and administrative duties along with a proven history of community involvement. Strong financial acumen and the ability to balance operational and financial requirements effectively Provostare crucial.
Cultivation of partnerships with businesses and external foundations to provide programmatic funding, support, and employment opportunities for students is also important. The successful candidate has demonstrated success in assessment and accreditation as well as enrollment and retention.
The University desires a strong communicator capable of balancing the needs of the President while advocating for faculty, staff, and students. University priorities include academic excellence in teaching, undergraduate research and creative activity, and student success.
Reporting directly to the President, the Provost is highly visible, contributing to the overall leadership of the University. The Provost is engaged with the entire University, interacting with all departments at all levels and must bring fresh ideas and vision. S/he will also be a strong external advocate for the University, representing Eastern Connecticut State University at the CSCU Board of Regents (BOR), and maintaining Eastern’s unique identity as a liberal arts institution.
Qualifications & Experience
Earned doctorate or appropriate terminal agree
3 – 5 years higher education administration experience
Demonstrated ability to manage large and diverse organizations, with an emphasis in the field of higher education with multiple educational programs and constituencies
Proven commitment to academic excellence in teaching, research, and student experiential learning
Extensive experience managing budgets
Experience with the tenure & promotion processes
Experience working in a union environment
Knowledge of enrollment and retention management
Demonstrated understanding of diverse student, faculty, and staff populations and commitment to Affirmative Action
Experience with faculty recruitment and development
Experience developing curriculum and program review
Knowledge of accreditation process
1. Manage the academic programs and faculty of the University to assure the quality and appropriateness of education for the University’s students, including the design, development, and accreditation process of the University’s academic programs.
2. Direct the work of the entire teaching faculty of the University through the Deans of the various schools,
and the Chairs of each school’s various departments/ programs.
3. Oversee administrative programs such as Library, Admissions, Academic Advising Center, Continuing Studies, Financial Aid and the Registrar’s Office
4. Guide future direction of academic programs by developing tactical and strategic plans and goals, including specific courses of action for assuring continuing accreditation and promoting student academic success.
5. Assure a faculty and professional workforce capable of high-level performance by directing the selection and development of faculty and staff and providing leadership and direction in accordance with professional standards.
6. Assure the fiscal soundness of the University’s academic operations by developing and managing the
academic affairs budget.
7. Contribute to the long-term vitality of the University by developing strategies for its growth and development.
8. Provide continuity in University direction by serving as an integral member of the Office of the President
and, when delegated, functioning on behalf of the President in the President’s absence.
About Eastern Connecticut State University:
Eastern Connecticut State University is the state’s only public liberal arts university serving approximately 5,400 students and offering a wide range of undergraduate majors in the arts and sciences and professional studies as well as selected graduate programs. Eastern is a member of COPLAC and consistently ranked as a top place to work including named as one of the nation’s "Great Colleges to Work for" by the Chronicle of Higher Education for the last eight years running. Willimantic was recently named one of the top 50 safest college towns in America.
Additionally the university is ranked as one of Connecticut’s top employers. The university enjoys an excellent
reputation and relationship with the town and local community.
About the Area:
Located in historic Windham County in the heart of eastern Connecticut, the University is midway between New York City and Boston and only a short drive from Hartford, the state capital. The area is rich in amenities and outdoor activities including restaurants, galleries, antique trails, museums, shopping, rivers and hiking trails.
Eastern Connecticut offers favorable real estate prices and open land. Connecticut is ranked by Forbes as second overall in quality of life thanks to low crime and poverty rates, a healthy populace, and strong schools.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received and should include a cover letter and CV. Please do not email your application. To be considered, applications must be received through the following link: https://acesrch.applicantstack.com/x/detail/a21esjyvfi52
Inquiries, referrals and nominations are treated confidentially and can be sent to: Jennifer Muller, Academic Career & Executive Search at Jennifer@ACESrch.com or call 860-740-2600.