This Faculty comprises two Departments: Computer Science and Informatics and offers professional programmes that include Bachelor, Bachelor Honours, Master and PhD degrees as well as Postgraduate Certificates in specialised fields aimed at producing high-quality and dynamic graduates and specialists for both the local and international ICT sectors.
The Faculty endeavours to keep up with the rapid changes and evolution of technology and is renowned for innovative projects and research. The Faculty focuses on four main research areas: Big Data, Indigenous Knowledge in Digital World, Smart & Secure Environment and Digital Transformation that addresses the needs of the country, the region and the world at large.
A relevant Doctorate (NQF Level 10) or in exceptional cases, a relevant Master’s degree (NQF Level 9) and current studies towards a relevant Doctoral degree. Extensive experience and competency in academic leadership and management, which entail strategic and financial planning with high-level soft skills and integrity. Excellent knowledge, insight, and vision with regard to the higher education sector.
Key Performance Areas:
The Dean carries the following responsibilities:
- Provide academic and strategic leadership to the Faculty, thereby promoting good governance, quality and excellence in the Faculty.
- Oversee the implementation of the Curriculum Framework and the development of new qualifications.
- Account for the operational management of the Faculty in delivering credentialed programmes and short courses.
- Lead, supervise and direct the teaching, learning and assessment; graduation; and community engagement in the Faculty.
- Promote and support research, scholarship, innovation and technology transfer in the Faculty.
- Manage the resources of the Faculty effectively and efficiently and promote inter-and multi-disciplinary ties within the University, and with external stakeholders.
- Oversee the implementation of a research strategy and research development.
- Promote the professional development of staff and students.
- Develop and maintain alternative funding streams and resource mobilisation through research, projects and international partnerships.