Search for University Jobs in Senior Administration
Facilities Project Manager (0364U) - 40340
University of California, Berkeley
Facilities Project Manager (0364U) - 40340
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles, our Principles of Community, and our Strategic Plan.
Facilities Services strives to continuously improve the campus in partnership with all members of the University community to ensure that classrooms, laboratories, and offices support teaching, learning and research. Through the efforts of over 400 dedicated staff members, Facilities Services manages the asset management program custodial services, maintenance operations, engineering and technical services, environmental services, grounds operations, the Cal Zero Waste program, the Campus Building Department, and the campus utility systems, including the cogeneration plant. The scope of the Facilities Services reaches across campus and is closely connected to the activities of staff, building managers, other campus departments and campus leadership.
The Facilities Project Manager position reports to the Director of Maintenance Operations. This position is responsible for managing all types of maintenance and repair projects on campus buildings, systems, grounds and utilities. Working closely with Facilities Services' Asset and Trade Shop managers, this position will identify scope, determine best practices for project execution, work with FS Purchasing to determine, procure and execute the appropriate bid and contracting process, monitor performance of contractors and coordinate supporting trade and operational support to meet project schedules, monitor project budgets and estimates, manage project data in CMMS systems and provide timely, accurate communication to all parties.
This recruitment is for a Facilities Project Manager with advanced skills who is responsible for all aspects of the design and construction process for major and significant building projects, or highly specialized and critical components of these projects. Projects are often characterized by their complexity. Exercises independent judgment in selecting methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results, and may oversee, manage, supervise, or provide guidance to other Facilities Project Managers and / or Analysts.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: August 15, 2022
- Reviews, manages and oversees construction activities, including contractor's schedule, RFIs, Submittals, Change Order Requests, and Punch List; specializes and focuses in monitoring construction milestones. Is responsible for overseeing and coordinating the activities of contractors on behalf of the campus.
- Works directly with the contractor to confirm appropriate project duration and confirms contractor's adherence to the schedule, using contractual and payment terms as appropriate.
- Coordinates contractor's draw-down schedules, reviews submitted invoices for accuracy, checks against payment schedule, and monitors retention.
- Reviews contractor's work for adherence to design, documentation, and completeness.
- Negotiates change orders.
- Knowledgeable of construction sequencing and experience working with multiple skilled trades.
- Manages the initiating phase of the projects that includes defining goals, managing stakeholders' expectations, defining the scope of the projects, selecting project team members, and awarding contracts.
- Oversees the planning phase, project execution-- including monitoring the deliverables and milestones, and the final closeout process.
- Works with consultants to execute functional studies to inform project scope and design intent.
- Obtains and approves cost estimates and creates project budget.
- Develops project program in coordination with campus occupants and designers.
- Is responsible for coordinating designers' efforts so the project remains within budget and achieves program priorities.
- Establishes project milestones and works with all project parties to make sure the project meets the established milestones.
- Determines completion and finalizes and closes out project documentation and finances.
- Acts as liaison among project participants and resolves problems or conflicts, including recommending range of solutions to disputed issues or contractor claims.
- As campus representative, identifies key priorities, design criteria per the Campus Design Standards, and specifics of each project depending on scope and location.
- Monitors project documentation to make sure it adheres to campus criteria and priorities as well as appropriate code and regulations including ADA and Title 24.
- Is responsible for working with designers and consultants to confirm that project documentation is accurate, effective, and appropriate for the project.
- Creates project in project management software application including updating and reporting of project status as required by organization, regulatory agencies, including budget and schedule; may include monthly written analysis of project.
- Determines delivery method and bids or negotiates construction contracts.
- Works with campus entities such as Facilities Services, EH&S, the Campus Building Department and building representatives to ensure the project incorporates relevant priorities and information and is executed effectively.
- Hires architectural, engineering and consultant firms and provides leadership expertise, direction and management to the engineers, architects and other consultants.
- Is responsible for directing the activities of the project team to execute the project as developed.
- Monitors the work product of the design team and uses contractual and payment terms as appropriate to determine their adherence to project scope and budget. Resolves coordination problems between operational units and contractors.
- Has the ability to solve complicated problems and provide recommendations to stakeholders with a minimum of direction.
- Demonstrated ability to manage several projects concurrently.
- Ensures project is properly closed out and Operations & Maintenance Manuals and record drawings are turned over to Facilities Services.
- May oversee, manage, and / or direct other Project Managers and Analysts.
- Performs organizational, departmental and administrative activities not directly relating to projects, including serving on committees representing department or unit.
- Advanced knowledge of building and construction, design, construction contract administration and California Building Codes, including advanced understanding of industry practices, or deep expertise in a highly specialized and critical discipline.
- Advanced project management skills to effectively manage highly complex projects, or highly specialized and critical project component.
- Advanced analytical, organizational and problem recognition / avoidance / resolution skills.
- Advanced written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills, including highly effective negotiation skills and highly developed political acumen.
- Advanced ability to manage contractors and maintain compliance to the agreed-upon scope of work and budget.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training.
- Advanced knowledge of the organization, including its infrastructure, rules, regulations, policies and short- and long-range strategic building plans.
Salary & Benefits
This is an exempt, monthly paid position. Annual salary is commensurate with experience within the range of $91,400.00 - $127,300.00.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=40340&PostingSeq=1
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |