President of the Cyprus Institute
Closing date for applications: 31 December 2021
The Cyprus Institute (www.cyi.ac.cy) was established as an international science, technology and educational organization to strengthen the research community of Cyprus and to facilitate the development of a knowledge-based economy in Cyprus. It functions as a research and innovation hub for the Eastern Mediterranean region that through science and technology can promote the cooperation among the people of the Eastern Mediterraean – Middle East region.
The Cyprus Institute (CyI) has been established by the Cyprus Research and Educational Foundation (CREF), which is governed by an international Board of Trustees with wide experience in leadership in research and public service. Research at the Cyprus Institute is conducted through its four interdisciplinary research centers: the Energy Environment Water Research Center (EEWRC), the Science and Technology in Archaeology and Culture Research Center (STARC), the Computation-based Science and Technology Research Center (CaSToRC) and the Climate and Atmosphere Research Center (CARE-C). Its educational activities are pursued through its Graduate School.
Reporting to the Board of Trustees of CREF, the President of the CyI exerts leadership of the research, educational and administrative functions of the Institute. Under the guidance of the Board of Trustees and in collaboration with the senior management of the CyI, the President develops the strategies of the Institute and oversees their implementation.
The selected candidate will be located in Cyprus and will be offered a five-year appointment, renewable upon mutual agreement, with an internationally attractive salary and benefits package, commensurate with his/her high degree of responsibility and qualification. The selected candidate may, if his/her background is an academic career, be awarded a tenured Professorship at CyI.
The successful candidate is expected to be a scholar or a managerial leader of international standing with strong leadership skills and extensive experience in research or organizational management. He/she should have good familiarity with the scientific directions pursued by the Institute that can be effectively strengthenedwith his/her involvement, a strong vision of the role of research and of the importance of science and technology capacity building in Cyprus, the Eastern Mediterranean and Europe. Previous experience in institutional building and/or managing complex projects from development to implementation would be a strong advantage. Proficiency in spoken and written English is indispensable, while knowledge of Greek would be an advantage
The incumbent must have excellent interpersonal skills, with strong skills in managing human resources, and in networking in academic, business, political and governmental circles, as well as in raising research support.
Duties and Responsibilities
In detail, the overall objectives, duties and responsibilities of the President are the following:
- To promote, elaborate and effectively implement the mision of the Insitute
- To lead the development of CyI as a state-of-the-art research and educational institution
- To develop CyI’s research and education strategy within the guidelines set down by the Institute’s Board
- To lead the recruitment and development staffing strategies for the Institute’s research and education divisions, including performance management, development and motivation of the Institute’s research and academic staff members
- To coordinate the Research Strategy of the Institute’s Centers in collaboration with the Center Directors
- To oversee the development and implementation of the research budget of the Institute
- To establish and maintain links with and between CyI’s research sponsors
- To build networks with the academic, business and political ecosystem in Cyprus, the region and internationally
- To develop and strengthen the relations with Government and State Institutions
Applicants should submit: (i) a CV including a list of publications, a compilation of research grants obtained (if applicable), and a description of relevant managerial experience, (ii) a short, up to two pages vision statement and (iii) a list of five potential referees (incl. their contact details). To be assured full consideration, applications should be received by the December 31, 2021, via e-mail at email@example.com showing the following reference in the subject heading: CYI_PRE_21_05. For further information please contact the Institute’s Head of Human Resources (firstname.lastname@example.org). Recruitment will continue until the position is filled.