Director, Philanthropic Due Diligence (6786U) 27493
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
University Development and Alumni Relations (UDAR) strengthens Berkeley's excellence through engagement with alumni, parents, undergraduate and graduate students, and friends of the University, raising public awareness about Berkeley and increasing private philanthropy. UDAR provides overall direction for the campus' philanthropic advancement strategies and works to strengthen unit development in partnership with campus fundraisers. The Division handles a range of central activities and services encompassing communications, stewardship, prospect development, gift management, and more.
Prospect Development supports the philanthropic success of principal, major, and leadership annual gift officers by identifying, researching, and advancing donors through the solicitation cycle. This partnership contributes to building and maintaining relationships with donors by matching donor's interests to the University's priorities. The department provides prospect research and wealth assessment, builds and maintains the prospect pipeline, manages portfolios and solicitation plans in partnership with campus fundraisers, and performs customized prospect analysis.
The Director of Philanthropic Due Diligence oversees UC Berkeley's philanthropic due diligence process for evaluating any reputational or legal risks pertaining to potential donors, manages due diligence staff, and designs and implements research deliverables to meet the needs of the campus.
- Manages and conducts due diligence research for all advancement purposes.
- Develops seamless continuum of philanthropic due diligence processes and products.
- Liaises with campus colleagues to ensure philanthropic due diligence research products, methodologies, and processes provide accurate, timely information to fundraising staff and campus leadership.
- Gathers and records strategic philanthropic due diligence data consistent with industry best practices and organizational objectives. Stays current on philanthropic due diligence best practices and updates due diligence processes and products as needed. Develops and manages process for the use of outside vendor due diligence resources, and manages relationships with outside vendors.
- Manages philanthropic due diligence team. Responsible for hiring, orientation, training, development, and evaluation of team members. Works with prospect development management team to integrate philanthropic due diligence staff and processes into the larger team.
- Provides guidance, training, and advice relative to philanthropic due diligence methodology, processes, and procedures. Leads creation and maintenance of internal philanthropic due diligence policy, procedures manual, and training program.
- Provides analysis of results or activities and makes recommendations to upper management for program changes or development of new programs as required.
- Highly skilled critical thinker with strong analytical abilities
- Critical thinking skills to challenge conventional practices, adapt established methods for improved uses, pursue ongoing system improvement, and create novel solutions to problems
- Demonstrated strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong active listening skills
- Demonstrated skills in counseling and negotiation
- Highly developed technical expertise to train staff in producing and reviewing philanthropic due diligence research findings
- Interpersonal skills to maintain relationships with all levels of management
- Expert working knowledge and understanding of fundraising and donor relations concepts, principles, techniques, procedures, and practices
- Expert knowledge of key information resources
- Expert knowledge in philanthropic due diligence prospect research analysis, strategy, best practices, resources, and operations management
- Expert knowledge of confidentiality, regulatory, and university policies
- Highly skilled project manager with demonstrated adaptability and flexibility
- Bachelor's degree preferred
- Four years of experience in prospect research or due diligence/risk management research preferred
- Supervisory experience preferred
Salary & Benefits
This is an exempt, monthly paid position. Annual salary is commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit: https://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/index.html
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Please include, as part of your application a brief (1-2 paragraph) statement on your contributions to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging in your professional experience.
Advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion are fundamental to our UC Berkeley Principles of Community, which states that "every member of the UC Berkeley community has a role in sustaining a safe, caring, and humane environment in which these values can thrive."
The minimum posting duration of this position is 14 calendar days. The department will not initiate the application review process prior to December 7, 2021.
This position could begin remotely, with the expectation that in the future a portion of the job will be conducted at the University Development and Alumni Relations office in Berkeley, CA.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=27493&PostingSeq=1