Director, User Support (0599U), University Development & Alumni Relations - 3149 - 3149
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: December 4, 2019
University Development and Alumni Relations (UDAR) strengthens Berkeley's excellence through engagement with alumni, parents, undergraduate and graduate students, and friends of the University, raising public awareness about Berkeley and increasing private philanthropy. UDAR provides overall direction for the campus' philanthropic advancement strategies and works to strengthen unit development in partnership with campus fundraisers. The Division handles a range of central activities and services encompassing communications, stewardship, prospect development, gift management, and more.
Advancement Information Services (AIS) is the unit with UDAR charged with meeting the data needs of the organization in its external relations and fundraising goals. This position will serve on the Directors team in AIS, and seek to accurately represent the needs of system and data users to guide the strategic direction of AIS services. As the voice of the user community, the incumbent will have a broad charge and latitude to engage through a variety of mechanisms; understanding of UDAR's mission and challenges, a problem solving orientation, and a willingness to engage will all be key success factors.
- Analyzes current business practices, processes and procedures internal to the group and with external customers.
- Serves the Development and Alumni Relations community by understanding their needs and articulating how data, software, and other offerings can evolve to make them successful in their work.
- Manages and accountable for data, software and processes to achieve goals for the unit, including assurance of service levels, both through their own work and that of subordinate employees..
- Understands goals and processes by which to meet department priorities and objectives.
- Provides summaries and reporting of trends, KPIs, and qualitative input on regular basis.
- Develops appropriate metrics to measure work of own group and subordinates, as well as trajectory of service offerings by broader AIS department.
- Advance issues meriting larger consideration by leadership.
- Provides direction to employees following established campus policies and management guidance and recommends hiring of new employees, salary actions, terminations, and performance evaluations.
- Administers campus policies that directly affect subordinate employees and their assignments.
- Adjusts service offerings and employee activities based on analysis and changing needs of area.
- Collaborates with direct reports to provide highest level of responsive service.
- Participates in development and monitoring of policies and procedures for department or department operations and recommends changes to department policies and procedures.
- Develops solutions repository and knowledge base on behalf of AIS out of issues put forward to help desk, to achieve consistent and efficient resolution of issues.
- Interfaces with other units within AIS and UDAR to resolve new issues, and prioritize solutions.
- Interacts with peer managers across the organization.
- Serves on Directors team within AIS to help lead the department.
- Documents ownership, custody and access requirements for data subject areas.
- Requires knowledge of database management systems.
- Must have knowledge of campus and system protocols and procedures for budget and user account management.
- Broad knowledge and experience in user support and customer service.
- Skills and experience in evaluating complex issues, identifying options, cost/benefit anaylsis,and specifying technical and functional requirements for solutions.
- Proven ability to organize department work functions in an efficient and effective manner.
- Professional and engaging relationship style that will reassure partners that concerns have been heard, understood, and are of importance for future work.
- Requires Critical Thinking, Persuasion/Negotiation, Mentoring, Leadership/Management, Problem Solving, Human Resources policies and procedures relating to management responsibilities, Verbal and Written Communication, Quantitative Abilities, Analytical, Strong Technical Database Systems skills.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
Salary & Benefits
This is an exempt, monthly paid position. Annual salary is commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=3149&PostingSeq=1