Director of Career Services
American International University – Kuwait City
Reports to: VP Enrollment and Student Development
Under general direction of VP of Enrollment and Student Development, the incumbent is
responsible for providing activities, services, and programs that aid individuals in their career
development and search for internships, employment and post-baccalaureate education. The
Director offers individual career counseling, internship and job-search advising to students,
develops and presents workshops, and develops positive relationships with students, alumni,
employers, faculty, staff, and parents in support of the career services functions.
1. Serve as member of the Division of Enrollment and Student Development,
participating in discussions, decision-making, and policy recommendations.
2. Ensures the success of the Office of Career Services by coordinating the development
and evaluating progress of the goals and objectives.
3. Facilitates effective and efficient operation of the Office by developing appropriate
policies and procedures, while promoting a strong service-oriented image to students,
alumni employers, faculty, staff and parents.
4. Manages the Student Employment Specialist and helps develop the on-campus
student employment program
5. Manages funds by developing, planning and controlling annual departmental budget.
6. Oversees annual follow-up survey of graduates including the survey development and
design, collection of data, data entry.
7. Monitors all aspects of the daily operations, assesses the effectiveness of programs,
policies and procedures.
8. Assists students in clarifying academic and career goals through individual career
counseling and mentoring.
9. Administers and interprets career inventories (e.g. MBTI, COPS and LVI).
10. Assists students in using career resource library and finding information on the web.
11. Designs and delivers career-related workshops, programs, career fairs, and panels.
12. Helps students develop and refine resume writing, interviewing, and job-search skills.
13. Develops and delivers workshops and career-related programs, including new
initiatives on how best to utilize the Internet for career discovery/job-search purposes.
14. Responsible for the planning and promotion of the career services office to students,
alumni, faculty and employers through a wide array of marketing efforts.
15. Oversees development of all marketing materials and the subsequent the updating of
16. Serves as liaison to student groups, clubs, and University community organizations.
17. Oversees the development and management of career services’ internet presence,
working closely with the Director of IT.
18. Makes recommendations for the acquisition of career-related software.
19. Assists IT staff in design of database management systems, including policies and
procedures for data collection and management.
20. Oversees the development and mechanisms for tracking and reporting data/statistics
for the assessment of career services and student post-graduate success.
21. Serves on various University committees as assigned.
22. Attends University and department meetings/events as required.
23. Work occasional evening and weekends as required.
24. Other duties as assigned.
1. Must possess skills to be able to explain and demonstrate the essential functions of
2. Ability to communicate ideas and information clearly and effectively at all levels within
the University in English; must possess effective presentation skills
3. Demonstrated knowledge of principles and practices of effective career counseling
techniques and procedures; knowledge of educational methods and student
development theory and its implications
4. Demonstrated knowledge of current best practices in University career services
5. Demonstrated understanding of University structure, policies and procedures,
particularly the impact of the collegiate environment on student development and
6. Demonstrated ability to prepare and present career related workshops
7. Demonstrated proficiency in the use of standard software applications
8. Demonstrated high ethical standards and patience especially as it relates to dealing
9. Must be capable of maintaining confidentiality of work related information and
10. Demonstrated ability to plan, prioritize, and problem-solve; sound professional
judgment; initiative and resourcefulness; industry and dependability
11. Demonstrated ability to work effectively with a diverse group of professionals and
12. Ability to work occasional evening and weekends
Experience and Education:
1. Master’s degree required; student personnel/higher education field preferred
2. Two to three years of professional experience in career development and/or jobsearch counseling; or the equivalent.
3. Proficiency working with personal computers, related hardware/software, webpage
maintenance and development.
4. Experience with database development and management.
5. Experiences in administering and interpreting assessments and standardized tests
6. Experience designing and presenting career resources, workshops, and other career
About American International University:
AIU is a new institution of higher education in Kuwait with the first student cohort admitted
in fall 2019. It is a private, co-educational institution offering undergraduate degrees based
on the American model of higher education. Through its educational programs, the College
serves the intellectual, cultural, and personal growth of all members of its community. AIU’s
offers degree programsin Engineering, Architecture, and Design, and Business Administration
where the language of instruction is English.
For more information about AIU visit: www.aiu.edu.kw