The University of California Hastings College of the Law was founded in 1878 as the law department of the University of California and was the first law school in California. Over the years, it has built a legacy and reputation of being a preeminent institution comprised of renowned faculty committed to the study of legal theory and research, preparing students for careers in the judicial system, public service, and industry.
The College is redefining legal education through an experiential, interdisciplinary, and international approach to the law. By integrating rigorous academics with hands-on practice, the College is preparing its graduates to tackle the legal challenges – and leverage the opportunities – of the 21st century.
Reporting to the Academic Dean, the Registrar is responsible for leadership and oversight of all aspects of the College’s Records Office. The Registrar maintains the College’s permanent academic records in compliance with FERPA and other federal and state regulatory requirements.
The Registrar oversees the Records Office staff and manages all Records Office functions, including enrollment and registration; exam administration; State Bar and Moral Character certifications; and degree audits and graduation clearances for approximately 1000 students in JD, LLM and MSL degree programs.
The Registrar provides both leadership and hands-on management for the Records Office. The Registrar also plays a College-wide leadership role as the College reshapes its academic programs to meet new challenges and opportunities in legal education and develops new interdisciplinary collaborations with other University of California schools.
Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Overseeing all operations, personnel, policies and information technologies within the Records Office
- Recording grades, assessing class ranks and honors, verifying student enrollment, issue transcripts and diplomas, evaluating transfer credit, and providing regular data submissions to the National Student Clearinghouse for enrollment and degree reporting
- Working closely with the Academic Dean’s Office, producing and publishing the Schedule of Classes, setting the College’s academic calendar, and overseeing all registration processes
- Working with the Director of Accreditation and Assessment and ensuring compliance with applicable laws, regulations and accreditation standards
- Providing oversight, training and supervision for Records Office modules of Ellucian Colleague student information system to ensure accurate maintenance of student records and data integrity
- Recruiting, training and supervising department staff, allocating work assignments and evaluating employee performance
- Developing and managing department budget
- Communicating College deadlines, policies and requirements to students
- Promoting a student service-focused environment and collaborative relationships with other front-line student offices
- Providing liaison and guidance to Curriculum, Academic Standards and other faculty committees
- Generating enrollment, curricular and bar passage sections of the annual IPEDS, ABA, US News & World Report and similar surveys
- Providing ongoing and ad hoc reports to the administration and various faculty committees regarding bar passage, enrollment, and the curriculum
- Developing data sets for assessment purposes
- Performing related duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred
- Minimum of 5 years of leadership experience within a university Registrar’s Office
- Strong analytical, interpersonal and written and oral communication skills
- Solid database management/data query experience, preferably with Ellucian Colleague and Entrinsik Informer or other reporting software
- Knowledge of federal regulations, national trends and best practices, FERPA requirements and AACRAO guidelines
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of complex information and computer systems and ability to extract data to support curriculum evaluation efforts
- Demonstrated project management and solution-oriented, collaborative decision-making skills
This full-time opportunity offers an annual salary of $100,000 – $130,000.00 annually (commensurate with qualifications) plus an excellent benefits package.
To apply, go to: http://hrnetlogin.net/uchastings/app/app.cgi?positionsdesiredtext=Registrar%20-%20Dept%20of%20Records%20Sept2018
Failure to provide the information as required, including attaching a cover letter and a resume shall immediately disqualify an applicant from employment consideration. This position has been designated as "sensitive" and requires a pre-employment background check. The position is open until filled.
The skills listed above are comprehensive, and we understand there are great candidates who possess only a subset of those skills, or who have other important skills. If you match some of these skills, please do not hesitate to apply.