Search for University Jobs in Senior Administration
Assistant to the Director (2041) - Extended
Northern Illinois University
The Asian American Resource Center enhances the quality of college life for Asian American students on campus through heritage programs, academic support and student organization events that foster inclusion. This position is part of a team providing essential support services for Northern Illinois University’s Asian American community, consisting of faculty, staff, students, alumni, and community members. This position will ensure program support for departmental events, supervision, and training of student staff to ensure smooth operations of front desk, provide administrative support for departmental services, develop/maintain effective marketing and social media presence.
The person in this position works under the direction of the Asian American Resource Center (AARC) Director. This person in this position assists the Director to support departmental programming, manage logistics for project management (reserve rooms, order catering, set-up, AV, prepare paperwork, etc.), supervise/train students for smooth operations of front desk, handle online room reservation process, review, and update budget reports of expenditures. This position will take initiative, handle multiple tasks, and plan for projects that have overlapping deadlines. This position maintains contacts with other units within the Office of Academic Diversity, Equity & Inclusion, Academic Affairs, Student Affairs, Division of Marketing and Communications, and relevant student organizations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Program Support – 20%
- Assist with program coordination and support AAPI cultural programming for the department (program development, implementation, and assessment)
- Responsible for compiling information to create calendar of events, its distribution, and posting.
- Manage the scheduling of project appointments and maintain online event calendars. Keep Director abreast of impending program engagements
- Coordinate scheduled program visits by guests sponsored by the Center. Complete required documents for program travel and route accordingly
- May serve as an authorized fiscal signatory to support departmental programs
- Compile and track program data information for departmental reports; submit annual reports and program assessment reports;
Administrative Support – 30%
- Manage front desk and provide excellent/consistent customer service for AARC users; determine appropriate course of action for incoming calls, mail, and visitors.
- Answer phones and properly direct calls; take messages from answering machine and properly direct them.
- Manages schedule/calendar and appointment for Director
- Responsible for departmental program logistics and paperwork (Secure dates, reserve locations, catering, AV equipment, room reservations)
- Track, update, and communicate budget expenditures. Maintain fiscal record-keeping systems and manage documentation of expenditures.
- Initiate paperwork related to accounting, hiring, and departmental payroll
- Responsible for online reservation of facility.
- Proofread, and edit program documents such as proposals, budgets, annual reports, and handouts. Maintain departmental files.
- Responsible for conducting annual inventory and maintaining departmental equipment/supplies. Provide efficient, secure check-out system, and proper storage for equipment/supplies (laptops, printer, owl, monitors).
- Identify and submit for approval work-orders and service requests for indoor and outdoor maintenance needs.
- Administer and coordinate in-center library and check-out systems
- Keep Director informed of events, incidents and other matters affecting the Center and its operations. Attend meetings, take minutes, and transcribe confidential or sensitive material as requested.
- Maintain confidentiality
Marketing, Promotions, & Communications – 20%
- Manage NAVIGATE communications systems for department, create student groups for correspondence, send correspondence to self-identified AAPI students, set up meetings. Assist with meeting 1:1 with AAPI students to help determine resources they may need.
- Liaison with NIU Marketing/ Communications team for website and program publicity needs
- Contact university and community organizations to coordinate publicity.
- Supervise and manage social media and Marketing communications for the department.
- Monitor department email account and determine appropriate course of action.
- Monitor and modify web page and social media
- Update and upload departmental events to university and divisional online calendars.
- Assist with weekly communications to promote events.
- Collaborate with NU’s Marketing and Communications to create new strategies and tools for departmental marketing and promotion
Supervision – 15%
- Supervise students and create effective office systems for smooth running of the outer office.
- Supervise students and manage student schedules to provide coverage of office during regular office hours and serve as a back-up when needed (front desk coverage, login/logout book, maintain a welcoming reception area, incoming calls, mail, open/close routines, absences). Manage interviewing schedules. Evaluate student performance.
- Train student staff on departmental protocols, processes, procedures for office coverage (front desk coverage, dress code, reception area, incoming calls, mail, responding to requests for information about the Asian American Resource Center, conducting center tours, opening, closing routines). Assist in the onboarding process and office orientation for new employees; update student employee training manuals; develop topics and plan for student employee training session
- Supervise and coordinate student staffing for departmental tabling events and serve as a backup when needed
- Supervise and manage the facility’s reservation and check-out system.
- Serve as a positive representative and provide support in the absence of the leadership team.
Budget – 5%
- Independently responsible for budgetary functions, including accessing reports, account signature authority and monitoring budget expenditures, monitoring payroll and forecasting budgetary needs of the center
- Provide input for budget planning and decision making
- Access financial information as requested, such as departmental financial reports
- Prepares & reconciles monthly p-card reports
- Verify monthly budget reports and balances for department accounts
Other Duties as assigned – 5%
Minimum Required Qualifications (Civil Service)
CREDENTIALS TO BE VERIFIED BY PLACEMENT OFFICER
- Bachelor’s degree
- Six (6) months of general office support experience in a student centered environment
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSAs)
1. Knowledge of general office practices and procedures.
2. Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
3. Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
4. Skill in oral and written communication.
5. Ability to work effectively with staff, the public, and outside constituency groups.
6. Ability to organize and multi-task.
7. Ability to supervise and knowledge of administrative concepts and methods.
8. Ability to utilize various computer software packages.
9. Ability to work independently and exercise judgment in order to be able to analyze and investigate a variety of questions or problems.
Specialty Factors (Civil Service)
Preferred Qualifications (Civil Service)
- Experience in a Student Cultural Center/Program environment
- Experience working with diverse populations and demonstrated cultural competencies.
- Knowledge/experience working with Asian American college students.
- Experience supervising college students
- Experience planning events
- Experience with marketing and social media
- Technologically proficient with Office Suite and Outlook.
- Experience working in a team setting.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Experience in higher educational setting.
- Experience in an office setting
- Experience working with budgets.
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |