Search for University Jobs in Senior Administration
Senior Director of Auxiliary Services - Operations
Tufts University is seeking a Senior Director of Auxiliary Services to lead a dynamic team of leaders responsible for the different areas within Auxiliary Services. The department is relatively new to the Univeristy and has had tremendous success. The University is looking for someone to develop an entrepreneurial culture and enhance customer service and financial performance. Tufts seeks an innovative, collaborative, and enthusiastic leader to spearhead the development, growth, and ongoing operations of the organization.
What You'll Do
The Senior Director of Auxiliary Services reports to the Chief Administrative Officer for the Operations Division and is a member of the Operations Division Administrative leadership team. The Senior Director will provide innovative leadership and financial oversight for a diverse group of revenue-generating auxiliary enterprises that directly support student life, the Tufts community, and the academic mission of the University. Auxiliary Services includes: conference & event services, Joyce Cummings Center conference facility, outsourced catering and café, summer housing, university campus store, vending, parking and transportation services, student access services, mail services, and other revenue-generating enterprises. Excellence in customer service, program growth and development, and optimizing revenue, will be priorities for the Senior Director.
- Be a champion for the services within the department, with an eye towards continuous improvement and excellence in customer service.
- Assess current performance and identify near- and long-term opportunities for improvement and business development;
- Developing a strategic plan and business model to improve profitability while maintaining and continuously improving customer service.
- Develops and implements Auxiliary Services annual strategic plans and initiatives to meet the needs of university constituents in accordance with the University's mission, vision and strategic plan.
- Defines key performance indicators to monitor and track each auxiliary function’s performance as well as the aggregate performance of the Auxiliary Services group (e.g., customer service, efficiency, financial performance, pricing).
- Identifies opportunities for continuous business development, process improvement and operating margin growth to be addressed via strategic initiatives and application of new technologies.
- Plans, organizes, and manages the day-to-day processes and operations of assigned auxiliary functions; interprets and applies federal and state mandated guidelines.
- Oversees the accounting, budgeting, and reporting for the auxiliary functions as well as periodic reporting packages that communicate operating results, challenges, and opportunities to a diverse constituency of university stakeholders and leaders.
- Maintains pace with industry standards and best practices.
- Develops and implements entrepreneurial ideas that contribute to the diversification and strengthening of revenue streams.
- Develops marketing and communications strategies that improve brand awareness and effectively inform external and internal customers of the value, benefits, and other pertinent information related to Auxiliary Services functions.
- Collaborates with university stakeholders to understand and optimize university investments in technologies and processes; keeps apprised of technological advancements to enhance the effectiveness of integrated services provided to the University.
- Administers all aspects of contracts with external vendors for Auxiliary revenue-generating activities, including contract negotiations, reviewing and interpreting request for proposals (RFPs), and ongoing contract / vendor management, in coordination with Tufts Procurement partners.
- Implements administrative procedures and systems to carry out departmental service-oriented objectives and University policies.
- Coordinates with Operations Division counterparts to identify, prioritize and execute upon facility upgrades and maintenance in support of auxiliary services to ensure accessibility and service quality.
- Participates in University and campus community relations and improvement efforts by working closely with university leadership, representing the unit at meetings, serving on university committees, and participating in professional associations.
- Exercises a high-level of integrity in all interactions and transactions.
- Coordinates and maintains standards of excellence for services.
- Provides direction for planning and promotion of services that add value to the University experience for students, faculty, and staff.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
What We're Looking For
- Demonstrated knowledge of trends, models, and best practices used in business, conference / event management, marketing, contract management, and auxiliary services across higher education and industry
- Bachelor's degree and 10+ years of progressively responsible experience in a complex business unit with responsibilities for managing profitability targets
- Demonstrated experience creating and successfully executing upon strategic growth and revenue generation plans for auxiliary units or comparable profit centers within a complex organization
- A record of increasing responsibilities that includes directly managing large, multifaceted auxiliary-related enterprises with successful outcomes
- Proven record of organizational excellence in large scale auxiliary services organization
- Advanced project management skills; ability to manage multiple tasks and set priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent communication skills in writing and speaking to various audiences, listening and influencing
- Demonstrated goal-oriented management style; ability to create an atmosphere devoted to personal and professional development of staff
- Strong fiscal management and budgeting skills
- Ability to interpret request for proposals (RFPs) and review contracts/maintenance agreements related to operations
- Ability to handle and resolve complaints in a professional manner
- Flexible and comfortable working in a team environment
- Ability to collaborate across internal and external constituencies
- An interest in working in higher education and a commitment to the educational and revenue generating goals of Auxiliary Services
Additional Preferred Qualifications
- Master's degree in business, hospitality or related
Tufts University is recognized as a premier university in the United States, with 10,500 students, more than 1,300 international students, and 450 international faculty and scholars. As well as possessing a global reputation for academic excellence and for the preparation of students as leaders in a wide range of professions, Tufts is an employer of choice, offering a market-competitive and progressive total rewards program that includes a spectrum of benefits and resources to create a positive work/life experience. For more information about Tufts and its benefits, please visit: http://hr.tufts.edu/benefits/
About the Operations Division
The Operations Division at Tufts manages facilities and construction, campus planning, real estate, campus safety, environmental safety, dining operations and other related services on multiple campuses across 5.5 million square feet in 250 buildings - the main campus in Medford/Somerville, the health sciences and SMFA campuses in Boston and the veterinary school campus in Grafton. Because of its leadership role in sustainability and in protecting and conserving resources, the Operations Division is central to and of increasing importance to the entire University.
An employee in this position must complete all appropriate background checks at the time of hire, promotion, or transfer.
Equal Opportunity Employer - minority/females/veterans/disability/sexual orientation/gender identity.
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |