SHAWNEE STATE UNIVERSITY
Vice President, Finance & Administration
Academic Career & Executive Search is pleased to assist Shawnee State University in their search for a Vice President, Finance & Administration (VPFA).
Shawnee State University seeks an individual with a strong academic finance background who is a mission driven, strategic thinker and leader with excellent financial acumen. This cabinet level position reports directly to the President and supports long and short range growth goals. This role offers a rare opportunity to play a major role, interacting widely across campus, and significantly impacting the course of the University. The successful candidate assumes both a leadership role and a hands-on approach to problem solving and communicates financial information to the University’s executive team and campus community in clear and understandable language.
The VPFA is the senior finance and administration leader serving on the President cabinet as the chief financial advisor to the president, the campus leadership team as well as interacting with all departments across campus. This position has executive-level oversight for business, financial, and administration functions of the University with responsibility for controllership functions, payroll and budgeting, physical facilities, construction & planning, information systems and services, procurement services, human resources, labor and organizational development, student business center, and external contracts, and other related duties. This position has a primary role of serving as fiscal officer of the university and may also be appointed as Treasurer of the SSU Development Foundation and Treasurer of the Board of Trustees.
The ideal candidate brings significant experience managing complex budgets, knowledge of best practices, operations and systems and excellent budgeting and financial planning abilities.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Oversees and ensures the efficient, cost-effective management of the business, financial and administrative affairs of the University, the development of the Finance and Administration division strategic plans, goals and objectives, and adherence to relevant policies
2. Oversees administration of fiscal affairs and collaborates with other executive officers and university management in major issues involving budgeting, risk reduction, and information systems
3. Conducts or causes the completion of complex cost/benefit studies regularly and prepares recommendations for consideration by the President, senior leadership, and the Board of Trustees
4. Provides direct management of the following areas:
4.14 Controller functions including: accounts payable, accounts receivable, restricted account management, financial reporting, cash or treasury matters, external audits, etc
4.15 Fiscal planning, university investment management, enterprise risk management, and debt management
4.16 Procurement services, contracts management, bid policies and processes
4.17 University administrative and academic technology and service operations and the development and implementation of management information systems
4.18 Human resources functions including, labor negotiations and employee relations, compensation & classification, benefits, payroll, performance management systems, training and development, etc.
4.19 Physical facilities, construction and, property acquisition, maintenance, grounds, and custodial services; long-term facilities planning, and state capital fund management;
4.1. Manages student business center
4.2. Oversight, for the fiscal administration of grants (outside agencies)
5. Manages the finance and administration division staff including interviewing, recommending the hiring of, evaluating, supervising, and motivating the performance of assigned personnel
6. Negotiates with parties/vendors regarding university contracts and ensures, with legal counsel assistance, the protection of university interests
7. Represents the University to various governmental and regulatory agencies regarding assigned areas
8. Serves as chief of staff for the Finance and Administration Committee of the Board of Trustees and, upon appointment by the Board, Treasurer of the University
9. Assists the Development Foundation Board in managing fiscal records and serves as Treasurer upon appointment
10. Oversees preparation of the finance and administration division including applicable university reports/records
11. Has signature authority and responsibility for university contracts, in accordance with policy
12. Maintains knowledge of current trends in the field
13. Assumes other related duties and responsibilities as assigned by the President
1. M.B.A. or equivalent in a related business, public administration, finance or higher education administration or related area
2. Progressively responsible experience with an in-depth understanding of the areas of responsibility particularly in the controller, budgeting, physical facilities, human resources and information-systems areas
3. Working knowledge of fund accounting in a public finance setting
4. Ability to handle multiple, competing priorities
5. Excellent analytical skills and ability to solve complex financial and human resource issues
6. Proven record of leading and developing high performing teams
7. Strong oral and written communications skills
8. Evidence of a commitment to a "best practices" management style and commitment to open communication, application of high ethical practices, planning & diversity
9. Exhibits an appreciation for the mission and purpose of higher education
1. Ph.D. or equivalent doctorate
2. Knowledge of Ohio’s rules, regulations, processes, policies and procedures related to the financing of a public higher education entity.
3. Experience working in a unionized environment
About Shawnee State University:
Shawnee State University (SSU), is a young, successful four-year, coeducational, public university established in 1986 and located in the city of Portsmouth near the Ohio River. With a faculty-student ratio of 15:1, the open-admissions university ensures student success through high levels of personal attention and a commitment to academic excellence. Shawnee State is the second least expensive of Ohio’s 13 state universities.
Shawnee State University offers 76 distinct undergraduate degrees, concentrated into 47 majors within 17 broad fields of study. Across all fields of study, Shawnee State University awarded 714 undergraduate degrees in 2017 – 2018.
Living in the Area:
Portsmouth located in Scioto County is a picturesque community located at the union of the Scioto and Ohio Rivers in South Central Ohio. With a population of 20,343, the community boasts home prices well below the national average, low property taxes and a very affordable cost of living.
Once a thriving river port and steel town, Portsmouth is revitalizing its economy through technological advances, improved educational opportunities and tourism. State-of-the-art companies are starting to find a home in the rural setting and local companies are expanding.
The rich quality of life present in south central Ohio makes it an attractive place to work, live and raise a family. From the breath-taking Floodwall Murals, and Portsmouth Floodwall Mural
to Shawnee State Forest, there are many tourist attractions within the county. The hills, valleys and rolling plains are offer an abundance of natural resources for relaxation and recreation. For the outdoor enthusiast, Shawnee State Forest, Ohio’s largest state forest brings over 88,000 acres of hiking, camping, lodges, swimming, boating, fishing water sports and extensive hiking trails. There are no shortage of local amenities with many restaurants, bars and coffee shops.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received and should include a cover letter and CV. Please do not email applications. To be viewed by the firm, you must apply directly at: https://acesrch.applicantstack.com/x/detail/a21esjyfudxp
Inquiries, referrals, and nominations are treated confidentially and can be sent to Jennifer Muller, Managing Partner at Academic Career & Executive Search at Jennifer@acesrch.com.
Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer:
Shawnee State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. The University prohibits discrimination against any individual because of race, color, genetic information, religion, age, disability, national origin, ancestry, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, veteran status or military status.