Chief Academic Affairs Officer/Provost
Academic Career & Executive Search is pleased to assist Elmira College in their search for a Chief Academic Affairs Officer/Provost (CAAO/P). The College seeks an accomplished, student-centered, strategic leader with a commitment to academic excellence and a deep understanding of a liberal arts education.
The ideal candidate is a high energy, innovative, results focused academic leader with a vision for adapting to the changing nature of higher education, community partnerships and program development. The successful candidate brings a solid record of inventive program development and academic success along with the skill to lead faculty and staff in establishing and achieving common goals. The position requires familiarity in implementing online education programs.
This position oversees all aspects of the academic program and instructional services, including Library, Office of the Registrar, Center for Mark Twain Studies, Career Services, and Continuing Education and Graduate Studies.
Elmira College is undergoing exciting changes, which include a new partnership with Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (LECOM) and a new sustainability program.
The position reports to the President and offers generous benefits and housing.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Prepare and manage budget
- Ensure compliance with federal, state, and accreditation agency standards and regulations
- Recruit, review, and evaluate full- and part-time faculty
- Recruit, review and evaluate academic administrators and faculty with administrative duties
- Oversee development and implementation of strategic planning and assessment plans
- Represent academic affairs to other divisions on campus
- Provide leadership in defining the vision and the mission of the college.
- Develop and maintain a collegial environment that is conducive to the scholarly interaction of students and faculty.
- Demonstrate a commitment to transparent leadership, shared governance and amicable conflict resolution.
Secondary Minimum Duties:
- Establish and maintain operational policies and procedures.
- Participate in faculty and college committees
- Represent the College to prospective students, alumni, potential donors, and the public
- Earned doctorate in an academic discipline
- Experience teaching at the college level
- Tenure status/attainment of the rank of associate professor or above
- Prior academic administrative experience at the level of Associate Dean or above
- Experience implementing online programs
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written)
- Strong quantitative skills
- Critical thinking, judgement, and decision making
- Experience in and appreciation for the small liberal arts college experience in American higher education
- Demonstrated effectiveness in administrative and leadership capacities in a college or university, including familiarity with enrollment management, business and finance, student affairs, physical plant, marketing, performance evaluation, state and federal certification and accreditation processes
- Demonstrated commitment to transparent leadership, shared governance and amicable conflict resolution
- Experience with curricular development and assessment
- Experience with student academic support programs, instruction and information technology, developing programs to attract new student populations, and other revenue streams
About Elmira College:
Elmira College is a private, coeducational, Phi Beta Kappa college located in Elmira, New York. Founded in 1855, Elmira was the first college for women with a course of study equal in rigor to the best men’s colleges. Becoming coeducational in 1969, today Elmira College offers rigorous academic programs with an undergraduate enrollment of approximately 800 full-time, mostly residential students. The College also offers advanced certificates, master degree programs, and non-credit courses for professional development.
Named by U.S. News & World Report 2020 as sixth among the Best Regional Colleges and second among Best Value in the Northeast. The Best Value Colleges list also takes into account a school’s academic quality. The College was also ranked fifth in the Most Innovative Schools and Top Performers on Social Mobility lists. Other accolades includes Princeton Review, Best 385 Colleges in the nation; Washington Monthly, #17 on the list of the Top 200 Bachelor’s Colleges; Colleges of Distinction, renowned Colleges of Distinction; and Forbes, list of America’s Top Colleges.
As the guardian of Quarry Farm, where Mark Twain summered for twenty years and wrote many of his most iconic novels, Elmira College is home to the Center for Mark Twain Studies, one of four nationally recognized Twain sites which serves as a research center for visiting Twain scholars.
Living in the Area:
With a population of nearly 30,000, Elmira, NY is located in the Southern Finger Lakes. The area is surrounded by scenic hills and hardwood forests and boasts a cost of living over 25% less than the national average. Elmira is 90 minutes south of Rochester and about 4 hours from Philadelphia, New York City and Toronto.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received and should include a cover letter and CV. Please do not email applications. To be viewed by the firm, you must apply directly at: https://acesrch.applicantstack.com/x/detail/a21esjy0jtzp
Inquiries, referrals, and nominations are treated confidentially and can be sent to Jennifer Muller, Managing Partner at Academic Career & Executive Search at Jennifer@acesrch.com.