Director of Internal Auditing
Primary Purpose of Position
The Director of Internal Auditing will lead the Internal Audit Office in planning, directing, establishing and maintaining a challenging work environment for the audit staff in terms of established goals and objectives for the dynamic and diverse University setting; and serve in an advisory capacity to University management. This position will design audit programs based on assessed risks and report on identified errors and control deficiencies. This position will conduct follow-up of action items to ensure effective and appropriate resolution of audit recommendations. Ensure that an effective internal audit function is in place for the institution with a focus on adding value and improving the institutional operations, risk management, control and governance processes. This position provides strategic audit, risk assessment in compliance with professional and governmental auditing standards, and assist executive management in accomplishing its mission goal and objectives.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Conducts operational, financial, compliance and basic information systems audits to include evaluating effectiveness and efficiency of internal controls, preparing audit work papers in an automated system, applying professional audit techniques, documenting findings, and recommending solutions to findings. Adheres to and conducts audits in accordance with The Standards for the Professional Practice of Internal Auditing, the UNC System Internal Audit Systems and Auditing Operating Procedures.
- Reports findings to the University management to include result of audits, recommendation based on audit findings and any other pertinent data.
- Resolves special problems such as litigation support, federal and state laws and regulations, fraud investigations, and responding to complaints and inquiries. Provides advice and guidance on control aspects of new policies, systems and business processes and procedures.
- Manages all office functions, reviews work paper and reports for adequacy and accuracy, and provides guidance and work instructions for internal auditors.
- Promotes a culture of accountability and ethics through presentations and consultations. Acting as a representative on various institution committees and task forces, which affect the internal control environment.
Primary Function of Organizational Unit
North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University is a preeminent land-grant institution where high-achieving scholars are engaged in transformative teaching and learning, civic outreach, interdisciplinary research and innovative solutions to global challenges.
North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University advances knowledge through scholarly exchange and transforms society with exceptional teaching, learning, discovery and community engagement. An 1890 land-grant doctoral research institution with a distinction in STEM and commitment to excellence in all disciplines, North Carolina A&T creates innovative solutions that address the challenges and economic needs of North Carolina, the nation and the world.
The Office of Internal Auditing operates in an advisory capacity to management with respect to the evaluation of the soundness of University fiscal and procedural operations and operating systems.
- Master’s and five (5) years supervisory experience managing audit teams of two or more as an internal auditor or external auditor.
- Experience in serving as a member of the management leadership team. Demonstrated experience in developing and maintaining excellent relationships with audit clients.
- One of the following certifications/licensures: Certified Internal Auditor (CIA), Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE), or Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA), Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or Certified Government Auditing Professional (CGAP)
Preferred Years Experience, Skills, Training, Education
Eight (8) years of professional audit leadership experience (Director or higher) with diverse experience in a public or private college or university, a state or federal agency, an accounting/auditing firm, or with in private industry; Internal Auditor (CIA) or Certified Government Auditing Professional (CGAP)
Required License or Certification
One of the following , Certified Internal Auditor (CIA), Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE), or Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA), Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or Certified Government Auditing Professional (CGAP)