Managing Director - The Bakar BioEnginuity Hub Incubator (0379U) 13968
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
UC Berkeley is the flagship campus of the University of California, internationally renowned for its broad interdisciplinary excellence, particularly in life sciences and engineering. The Bakar BioEnginuity Hub is a new innovation center that brings together researchers, entrepreneurs, recent alumni, and industry partners working at the interface of the life sciences and engineering. The mission of the Hub is three-pronged: 1) Create essential and high visibility capabilities with sought after life sciences and tough" tech labs uniquely suited for start-up innovators; 2) Chart a path for sustainable innovation by establishing a revenue-generating incubator that harnesses campus proximity and vibrant programs for students and researchers; and 3) Galvanize UC Berkeley's spokes of innovation and entrepreneurship bolstering our community and links to the Bay Area, California and around the world.
The Bakar BioEnginuity Hub Incubator Managing Director will serve as the senior staff lead for the Bakar BioEnginuity Hub Incubator. The Bakar BioEnginuity Hub Incubator is a full-service life sciences and tough tech incubator where start-up teams can test and develop game-changing ideas that will have a positive impact on our society and the world. The Incubator will offer world-class wet laboratories, office and meeting spaces in a newly renovated state-of-the-art facility on the UC Berkeley campus. The renovation is expected to be complete in summer 2021 with expected start of operations in early fall 2021.
The successful candidate will be responsible for overall leadership and oversight of Bakar BioEnginuity Hub Incubator operations, develop and maintain a strong pipeline of start-up tenants and a network of mentors, investors and industry partners. The candidate will be responsible for seamless program creation, delivery, and quality control as well as evaluation. In this newly established role, the incumbent will ensure every aspect of the program is innovative, delivered successfully, and managed with care.
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual with extensive program development, team management and start-up and/or industry experience. Under the direction of the Director of the Bakar BioEnginuity Hub Incubator, the successful candidate will build new programs, lead them, and partner and work collaboratively with a high-pace management team. S/he is expected to have deep knowledge of the life sciences and tough tech start-up environment in the United States, best practices for university-affiliated incubators and accelerators as well as operational and financial management experience.
- Create and manage the best possible environment in which science and technology related startups can grow and succeed
- Develop and maintain a strong pipeline of best-in-class start-up tenants and an associated network of mentors, investors and industry partners
- Plan and implement tenant programs and service offerings from start to completion, including establishment of new processes, manage all associated deadlines and milestones
- Responsible for activities, resources, budgets and smooth operation of all Incubator programs
- Develop and implement strategies that will maximize synergies between the Incubator, the Bakar BioEnginuity campus programs and the broader campus environment
- Liaise with industry partners and forge partnerships with other organizations for providing services to the startup tenants
- Design and oversee implementation of a robust communications strategy to promote programs and sponsorships
- Monitor and measure delivery on the Incubator's KPI benchmarks, make course corrections and adjustments, as needed.
- Academic background and minimum 5 years experience in a position with similar responsibilities and scope.
- Advanced oral and written communication skills.
- Advanced ability to think creatively and independently on concepts requiring advanced analytical skills.
- Advanced ability to work collaboratively with internal and external peers and managers.
- Demonstrated success developing, evaluating, selecting, and successfully operationalizing innovative programs
- Strong project execution skills, managing complex, multifaceted projects resulting in measurable successes and program growth
- Excellent understanding of innovation processes and entrepreneurship and investment environment in life-sciences and tough tech
- Personal integrity, credibility, and commitment to shared goals.
- Advanced knowledge of administrative, budgetary, data analysis, human resources and financial principles and practices.
- Highly skilled fundraising experience.
- Experience working with information and communication technology to develop and implement program evaluation
systems and metrics.
- Strength in hiring, recruiting, managing, developing, coaching, and retaining individuals and teams, empowering
them to elevate their levels of responsibility and performance;
- Experience working with a high-performance, collaborative, constructive peer group;
Demonstrated results in managing complex systems and proven experience negotiating win-win agreements;
Salary & Benefits
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=13968&PostingSeq=1