The Vice-Chancellor is the Chief Executive Officer of the University, who provides institutional leadership and oversight by developing and driving the mission, strategies and advancement of the University as a premier science and technology institution.
The successful candidate must hold a Doctorate in the Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics fields from an internationally recognised University, with at least ten years of experience in a senior executive leadership role at the level of Dean or above in an academic institution or, at the C-Suite level (CEO, CFO, etc.) in an entity of a similar size and complexity. The candidate must have a global and local outlook with financial, stewardship, diplomatic and communication skills to represent the University at local and international level, as well as a proven track record of executive management, leadership and people management skills.
Key Performance Areas
The Vice-Chancellor carries the following responsibilities:
- Provide academic, administrative, strategic and transformational leadership to the University in line with the principles enshrined in the NUST Act, Statutes, Policies, Rules and Regulations.
- Promote and maintain good governance in the University; guard its institutional autonomy, as well as freedom of inquiry and expression.
- Analyse and articulate the University’s strategic vision and lead the creation and implementation of systems and policies in compliance with the University’s strategic and policy frameworks.
- Guide the executive leadership team and staff in the effective and responsible operation of the University.
- Oversee strategic budgeting and financial control (capital, research and general expenditure).
- Represent the University as its public persona in the media, with government and all other stakeholders.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to an interview and to elucidate the following: sound knowledge and understanding of the key challenges and opportunities in a fast-changing higher education environment in Namibia and globally, and a clear vision for positioning NUST as a credible university with global standing.
Term of Office
Five (5) years, with eligibility for reappointment based on satisfactory performance.