Northern Illinois University (NIU) is accepting applications for the position of Director of Marketing and Game Experience. This is a full-time, 12-month position with benefits.
The mission of NIU Athletics is to enhance the University, community and region through service and engagement while developing champions in the classroom, in competition and in life. With long standing traditions and core values centered on family, NIU Athletics is home to 17 NCAA Division I sport programs. Northern Illinois University, chartered in 1895, is a comprehensive teaching and research institution with over 19,000 currently enrolled students and houses seven (7) degree-granting colleges—Business, Education, Engineering and Engineering Technology, Health and Human Sciences, Law, Liberal Arts and Sciences, and Visual and Performing Arts. Centrally located in DeKalb, Northern Illinois University is 30 miles west of Aurora, 65 miles west of Chicago, 36 miles west of Naperville, and 45 miles southeast of Rockford.
Responsible for directing the daily operation of Marketing & Game Experience in all aspects related to increasing attendance and ticket revenue at all ticketed events with specific attention to season, group, and single game ticket sales at football, men’s and women’s basketball and volleyball; as well as enhancing the pre-game and in-game fan experiences at all intercollegiate athletics hosted events.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Generate revenue and achieve season goals set by supervisor. Serve as primary marketing coordinator for assigned sports, including but not limited to Football, Baseball, and other sports as needed. Develop a comprehensive marketing and sales plan to maximize ticket revenue and spectator attendance for ticketed and assigned sports, based on performance measures established by Sr. Associate Athletic Director, Collegiate Advancement & External Affairs.
- Develop and execute game experience plan for assigned sports, promotions, and pre- and post-game activities. Acts as game coordinator at NIU Football games.
- Oversees development and execution of marketing plans by Graduate Assistants
- Work with community and campus organizations to enhance enthusiasm for the department and awareness of sports schedules.
- Oversees the communication and selection process for the Huskie Fan Advisory Board (HFAB).
- Maintains the athletics Marketing & Game Experience advertising calendar and trade partnerships.
- Assist with department special promotional events both on and off campus. Assist in the creation of design elements including print collateral, social media graphics and other design elements as assigned.
- Cash Handling responsibilities — $1,000 to $5,000 on a monthly basis.
- Attend athletics department and university committee meetings.
- Other duties as assigned.
Minimum Required Qualifications (Civil Service)
CREDENTIALS TO BE VERIFIED BY PLACEMENT OFFICER
1. Bachelor’s degree in marketing, business administration, communications, public relations or a related field.
2. One (1) year (12 months) of professional experience working in the advertising, promotions, public relations, communications, journalism, or a related field.
3. Based on position requirements, additional education, training and/or work experience in the area of specialization inherent to the position, may be required.
*Note Master’s Degree in an area consistent with the duties of the position may be substituted for one (1) year (12 months) of work experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSAs)
1. Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
2. Knowledge of recruitment practices.
3. Knowledge of social media analytics, social media publishing tools, web analytics, and tracking technologies.
4. Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
5. Knowledge of media production, including social media platforms and efficiency of use, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods.
6. Knowledge of Microsoft Office, presentation software, spreadsheet software, video creation and editing software, web page creation and editing software, and analytical or scientific software.
7. Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems.
8. Skill in producing live social media coverage.
9. Skill in verbal and written communication.
10. Skill in identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
11. Skill in time management, organizing work assignments, and responding quickly and effectively to challenges.
12. Ability to develop and execute marketing, and strategic communications plans to effect outcomes.
Specialty Factors (Civil Service)
Preferred Qualifications (Civil Service)
- Master’s degree
- Minimum 2-4 years of intercollegiate athletics marketing experience within a DI or DII Institution
- Minimum 1 year demonstrated participation with outside community organizations.
- Minimum 1 year demonstrated experience with fan engagement and game scripting.
- Familiarity with video board use/creativity
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite or similar program including, but not limited to, PhotoShop and Illustrator
- Knowledge of NCAA, conference and institutional rules and conduct the program within the regulations.
- Knowledge of compliance with National Collegiate Athletics Association (NCAA) regulations.