Assistant Vice President for Research Development and Administration
Division of Research and Economic Development
South Dakota State University
South Dakota State University Division of Research and Economic Development seeks a visionary Assistant Vice President to lead research development and research administration. The Assistant Vice President will assure excellence in research development and research administration as the university pursues a multi-faceted research growth agenda. We are looking for a leader who is committed to excellence, creativity, diversity, integrity, and is people centered. This is a 12 month, full-time, benefit eligible position. This position reports to the Vice President for Research and Economic Development as part of a dynamic leadership team.
SDSU is especially interested in candidates that can contribute the experiences of underrepresented minorities in organizations. Women, minorities, veterans, and people with disabilities are especially encouraged to apply.
Must be authorized to work in the U.S. Sponsorship is not available for this position.
Provide vision and leadership for continuously improving and implementing SDSU’s research development and research administration. We are in a multi-faceted transition to grow our impact through research, scholarship, and creative activity. Recent build out of facilities to support research exceeds $200 million. The Assistant Vice President will lead development and administration services for SDSU’s research, scholarship, and creative activity through the university’s transitions.
- Lead implementation and continuous improvement of research development, including development programming and delivery, and facilitating large-scale complex project proposal development.
- Lead continuous improvement and implementation of pre-award research administration, including leading, updating, and continuously improving pre-award research administration, award intake, integration with compliance and post-award administration, and serving as Authorized Organizational Representative.
- Lead and develop pre-award specialists and coordinators from across the university’s constituent units for highly effective and responsive research development and administration throughout the university.
- Supervise and develop research development and research administration staff in the Division of Research and Economic Development.
- Engage effectively with university leadership on issues of organizational structure, and on research development and administration.
- Commitment to working in the spirit of SDSU’s core values: people-centered, creativity, integrity, diversity, and excellence;
- Master’s Degree in an academic field completed by date of application;
- At least five years of research administration and/or research development experience;
- Demonstrated team leadership skills;
- Supervisory and management skills;
- Strong interpersonal and adaptability skills;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Willingness to travel; and
- Valid driver’s license or ability to obtain one within 30 days of hire.
- Demonstrated success in competitive research development;
- Certified Research Administrator designation;
- Demonstrated leadership in forming and leading high performing teams;
- Seven years or more of research development and/or research administration experience; or
- Terminal degree.
Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
South Dakota State University offers a wide range of benefits including medical, dental, and flexible benefits, retirement plans, compensation packages, paid holidays, and vacation leave. Employees also have access to internal and state-sponsored training as well as reduced tuition for state-supported courses at all State of South Dakota academic institutions.
UNIVERSITY AND THE BROOKINGS COMMUNITY:
South Dakota State University is the state’s largest, most comprehensive university with over $60 million annual research expenditures, more than 200 academic programs and an enrollment of approximately 12,000 students.
SDSU offers a rich academic experience in an environment of inclusion and access through inspired research and creative activities, innovation, student-centered education, and engagement that improves the quality of life in South Dakota, the region, the nation, and the world. Its employees embrace the university’s core values of being people-centered, expanding knowledge through creativity, embracing organizational and personal integrity, commitment to diversity, and excellence through continuous improvement.
As the state’s 1862 Morrill Act land-grant institution, the work of the university is carried out on its main resident campus in Brookings, at sites in Sioux Falls, Pierre, Rapid City, and Aberdeen, and through Extension offices and Agricultural Experiment Station research sites across South Dakota.
SDSU was recognized as one of 54 institutions in the United States as an Innovation and Economic Prosperity University by the Association of Public and Land-Grant Universities in 2014. The university is a High Research Activity institution as classified by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching.
Jackrabbits Athletics competes in NCAA Division I with membership in the Missouri Valley Football Conference, the Summit League and the Big XII for wrestling.
Brookings is home to approximately 24,000 residents and is located 60 miles north of Sioux Falls and 200 miles west of Minneapolis. Livability.com rates Brookings as an ideal community for families, students, young professionals, and retirees. It considers Brookings among the safest and most vibrant cities in South Dakota.
The Brookings Public School District educates approximately 3,300 K-12 students and ranks among the state’s highest academic achieving school districts. The district includes three elementary schools, an intermediate school for fourth and fifth grade, one middle school and a high school.
The city also boasts an abundance of attractions and activities, including the Children’s Museum of South Dakota, Dakota Nature Park, South Dakota Art Museum, McCrory Gardens, South Dakota Agricultural Heritage Museum, Outdoor Adventure Center, and the Brookings Summer Arts Festival.
Position is open until filled with full consideration given to applications received by September 7, 2021.
SDSU accepts applications through an on-line employment site. To apply, visit: https://yourfuture.sdbor.edu, search by the position title, view the job announcement, and click on "apply for this job." This system will guide you through the electronic application form. This employment site will also require the attachment of a cover letter, which should specifically address how the candidate meets the qualifications as outlined in the advertisement, resume, and a reference page with the contact information for three professional references. Email applications will not be accepted. Please contact SDSU Human Resources at (605) 688-4128 if you require assistance with this process.
Any offer of employment is contingent on the university’s verification of credentials and other information required by law and/or university policies, including but not limited to, successful completion of a criminal background check.
South Dakota State University is a tobacco free environment.
It is the policy of the University to maintain a drug-free environment and to thereby establish, promote, and maintain a safe and healthy working and learning environment for employees and students. This position is subject to South Dakota State University’s Drug and Alcohol Testing Policy 4:14.
For questions on the position, contact search committee chair, Dr. Rajesh Kavasseri at 605-688-4371 or email@example.com.