Northern Illinois University (NIU) is accepting applications for the position of Assistant Coach of Women’s Softball. This is a full-time, 12-month position with benefits. Under the general supervision of the Head Coach of Women’s Softball, this position will assist head coach in coaching student-athletes, implementation and instruction of game strategy, recruiting prospective student-athletes, monitoring student-athlete academic progress, program organization, managing travel, managing student-athlete scholarships and overseeing the discipline, conduct and image of the sport program and student-athletes of a major university sport program in conjunction with other departmental responsibilities as assigned.
This is a professional coaching position, and all of the duties of the position must be conducted in adherence with the policies, rules and regulations of affiliated national, regional and state intercollegiate athletic associations, the Mid-American conference (or subsequent member conference) and the university.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist head coach in coaching student-athletes
- Implementation and instruction of game strategy
- Recruiting prospective student-athletes
- Monitoring student-athlete academic progress
- Program organization, managing travel, managing student-athlete scholarships
- Overseeing the discipline, conduct and image of the sport program and student-athletes of a major university sport program
- Other departmental responsibilities as assigned
Minimum Required Qualifications (Civil Service)
Specialty Factors (Civil Service)
Preferred Qualifications (Civil Service)
Minimum Required Qualifications (SPS)
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- Minimum one year teaching/coaching softball skills, game and training strategies plus teaching progressions.
- Demonstrated success in recruiting and retaining quality student-athletes, particularly at the regional level (Midwest) including knowledge of softball travel teams and high school programs.
Additional Requirements (SPS)
- Ability to empower, communicate with and relate well to the female student-athlete.
- Ability to effectively communicate through oral, written, and electronic forms.
- Have a thorough knowledge of NCAA, conference and institutional rules and conduct the program within the regulations.
- As a staff member within the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics, you are responsible for knowledge of and compliance with National Collegiate Athletics Association (NCAA) regulations, both those general in nature and those which apply directly to your position’s responsibilities. Strict adherence to all applicable governing policies, procedures, and regulations of the NCAA is required and is a condition of your employment.
Preferred Qualifications (SPS)
- Master’s degree.
- Minimum three academic years coaching experience at the collegiate level.
- Successful competitive or coaching experience in softball at the Division I level.
- Former student-athlete at the collegiate level.
Days, nights and weekends.
Heavy lifting up to 50lbs.