The American University in Dubai (AUD) Governing Board invites nominations and applications for the position of President.
The Board seeks an energetic, collaborative and transformational leader – an individual who will enhance AUD’s academic endeavors, strengthen the university’s commitment to student success, and vigorously build strategic partnerships with regional and international business, government and academic constituencies.
The Mission of the American University in Dubai is to serve as a culturally diverse learning community committed to the pursuit of knowledge through excellence in teaching and scholarly and creative endeavor, leading to students’ academic, personal and professional success, as well as the advancement of society.
AUD’s operations and development are guided by its ten core values:
- Whole Person Education – AUD values the intellectual, personal and professional development of its students;
- Excellence – AUD values excellence in all that it does and is committed to continuous improvement in its educational offerings and services;
- Integrity – AUD values honesty and transparency and has high standards of legal-adherence, morality and ethics;
- Service – AUD values all of its constituencies and partners with its stakeholders in the achievement of their objectives and aspirations;
- Diversity – AUD values diversity in all its manifestations and recognizes its contribution to the quality of university life;
- Tolerance – AUD values respect and open-mindedness as proper responses to concepts, opinions and customs that are diverse, new or unfamiliar;
- Accountability – AUD believes that all members of the university community are responsible for fulfilling their roles in support of the institutional mission and purpose-related goals and that evaluation of individual performance should be based on the degree to which this responsibility is satisfied;
- Collaboration – AUD values teamwork and outreach as a means of deriving superior solutions;
- Innovation – AUD values innovation as reflected in knowledge creation, creative expression and continuous improvement;
- Best practice – AUD recognizes the worth added to its policies and operations by best practice in American higher education.
The American University in Dubai is a private, non-sectarian institution of higher education founded in 1995, accredited in the US by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) and licensed by the UAE Ministry of Education. Moreover, AUD has specialized accreditation at program levels that further distinguish its degrees:
- The School of Business Administration is accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB International)
- The Bachelor of Communication and Information Studies (B.C.I.S.) program, with majors in Digital Production and Storytelling and Journalism is accredited by the Accrediting Council on Education in Journalism and Mass Communications (ACEJMC)
- The Civil, Computer, Electrical, and Mechanical Engineering programs of AUD’s School of Engineering are accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET)
- The Interior Design program leading to the Bachelor of Fine Arts is accredited by the Council for Interior Design Accreditation (CIDA)
- The National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD) has granted AUD’s Bachelor of Fine Arts (B.F.A.), with majors in Advertising, Digital Media, Graphic Design and Studio Art; and Bachelor of Fine Arts (B.F.A.) in Interior Design the designation of substantial equivalency with accredited programs in the United States
- The Bachelor of Architecture program is accredited by the National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB) of the United States
The university’s Fall, 2022 enrollment was just under 2,000. It’s current faculty and staff forces are 155 and 109, respectively.
POSITION QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPECTATIONS
- Strong leadership skills with a demonstrated record of executive level, line-management achievements in higher education and/or educationally-related enterprise(s)
- Energetic visionary/strategic thinker with a positive reputation for working successfully with internal and external constituencies in a culturally diverse environment
- Excellent financial management skills
- Exemplary communication skills honed among a wide variety of audiences
- Love and passion for creating environments that foster student success
- PhD degree preferred
- Management experience matured in the Arab world
- Knowledge of accreditation processes and experience as an institutional liaison with compliance and regulatory bodies
- Understanding of and appreciation for a culture of entre- and intrapreneurship
NOMINATION AND APPLICATION PROCESS
The Governing Board will begin reviewing applications immediately and until the position is filled. Applicants should adhere to following guidelines:
- Submit current resume/vitae and letter of interest articulating relevant experience
- Submit contact information for 3-5 references from previous direct supervisors
- Submit all letters of inquiry or interest, nominations or referrals by postal mail or electronically in confidence to:
Ms. Tala Makhlouf
American University in Dubai
P.O. Box 28282
No telephone calls please.
While we thank all applicants for their interest, only those under consideration will be contacted for a follow-up interview.