The College of Arts and Sciences (College) at the University at Buffalo, The State University of New York, is seeking an innovative leader to serve as Director of the Sustainability Initiative, a new and exciting initiative intended to lead to significant growth in local, regional, national, and international prominence for Sustainability throughout the College.
As inaugural Director of the Sustainability Initiative, you will:
- Lead the vision and strategy including formation, communication, and implementation. Strategies should be a combination of those arising from faculty and their academic departments, students, and College administration, while also supporting the university’s overarching sustainability strategy. This may include a particular emphasis on urban sustainability with the Buffalo/Niagara region as the translational laboratory.
- Facilitate, encourage, and build consensus, nurture a culture of shared goals and success, and open communication. Support and work closely with UB’s Chief Sustainability Officer to closely integrate academic (traditional and continuing education), research, and community engagement initiatives vision and strategies. Build true connect and collaborate partnerships based on shared goals.
- Lead a College Sustainability Team, which will consist of the participating Department Chairs, Cognizant Associate Deans, Dean’s Office designee, UB Chief Sustainability Officer, Directors of related support organizations, and the CAS Director of Communication and Marketing.
- Oversee initiatives and events, either directly leading them or supporting those who do directly. Major initiatives report to UB’s Director of Sustainability.
- Develop and cultivate student sustainability leaders. Engage with emerging interdisciplinary Sustainability graduate degree programs.
- Prepare and manage budgets for initiatives and activities that are sponsored at the College Sustainability level working together with the Steering Committee.
- Work with UB’s Chief Sustainability Officer to leverage the Western New York Environmental Alliance, the WNY Sustainable Business Roundtable, One Region Forward and other organizations to build strong relationships with community partners and organizations founded on a spirit of collaboration, mutual respect, strong communication, and common purpose.
- Develop strong community, organization, and alumni relationships, in conjunction with the College, the Chief Sustainability Officer, University Development, and Research Sponsored Programs, that lead to significant funds and support for Sustainability at UB.
- Provide vision, strategy, initiatives, and activities that align and support academic and research programs and goals drawing upon the rich resources and opportunities they present and that also recognize and incorporate the value of inter-disciplinary collaboration, education, and discussion.
- Develop approaches and processes that optimize the use of our facilities, either on or off campus, to best serve departmental and Initiative goals and vision.
PhD or appropriate terminal degree and a proven successful track record in sustainability-related efforts and areas of innovation, leadership, fund raising (development and grants), community engagement, and consensus building. Significant professional experience and/or other credentials will be considered in lieu of degree. Must be a collaborative consensus builder who can bring diverse teams together to implement actionable sustainability initiatives.
PhD or appropriate terminal degree in a Sustainability-related field. Established research program focused on relevant interests. Highly regarded teaching of relevant undergraduate and/or graduate courses. Initiative building and curriculum development experience is preferred. An understanding of the pedagogical missions of Sustainability programs, and/or sustainability higher education and/or curriculum development experience is preferred.
Contact’s Name Michelle Scott
Contact’s Title Director for Human Resources
Contact’s Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact’s Phone 716-645-2711