The Faculty of Management Sciences is the largest Faculty with approximately 5 000 students and comprises of four Departments: Accounting, Economics and Finance; Hospitality and Tourism; Management; and Marketing and Logistics. The Faculty emphasises that teaching and learning are student-centred, therefore creates pathways for individuals, public and private sector organisations to achieve both personal and societal goals by providing an environment that facilitates and values initiative and innovation. The Faculty offers programmes and courses designed to be responsive to the changing needs of the labour market and are geared to provide employers with a pool of skilled graduates. The Faculty is also involved in the provision of continuing education courses and consulting services to enable the University to make an effective contribution to the up-skilling and re-training of employees through specifically designed and tailored industry programmes.
A relevant Doctorate (NQF Level 10) or in exceptional cases, a relevant Master’s degree (NQF Level 9) and current studies towards a relevant Doctoral degree. Extensive experience and competency in academic leadership and management, which entail strategic and financial planning with high-level soft skills and integrity. Excellent knowledge, insight, and vision with regard to the higher education sector.
Key Performance Areas:
The Dean carries the following responsibilities:
- Provide academic and strategic leadership to the Faculty, thereby promoting good governance, quality and excellence in the Faculty.
- Oversee the implementation of the Curriculum Framework and the development of new qualifications.
- Account for the operational management of the Faculty in delivering credentialed programmes and short courses.
- Lead, supervise and direct the teaching, learning and assessment; graduation; and community engagement in the Faculty.
- Promote and support research, scholarship, innovation and technology transfer in the Faculty.
- Manage the resources of the Faculty effectively and efficiently and promote inter-and multi-disciplinary ties within the University, and with external stakeholders.
- Oversee the implementation of a research strategy and research development.
- Promote the professional development of staff and students.
- Develop and maintain alternative funding streams and resource mobilisation through research, projects and international partnerships.