Aalto University is looking for a new Vice President for Research.
At Aalto University, we are dedicated to long-term research of high scientific value and interdisciplinary collaboration combining science and art with technology and business - with the purpose shaping a sustainable future.
We are now seeking a Vice President for Research
to empower our community to research excellence for academic and societal impact.
As our new Vice President for Research, you are in a key role ensuring development of academic excellence and cutting-edge competence in science, art, engineering, and business. You are a key contributor in shaping our research vision and agenda, facilitating our way towards the top in our fields.
There is a momentum to drive and enable the great transitions in the society with Aalto’s excellence in close collaboration with the Vice President of Innovations. You are in a key position to shape a sustainable future in a constantly changing world.
You will manage the research and artistic activities of the University, including the development and resourcing of university wide strategic research infrastructures and research support services. You will work in close collaboration with Vice President for Education in terms of doctoral education.
More specifically, you are in charge of:
- Advancing uncompromising research excellence and multidisciplinary endeavors,
- Enhancing strategic focus areas by establishing and nurturing strong research environments with state-of-the-art infrastructure and opportunities for collaboration,
- Influencing in creating a research ecosystem that attracts the best scholars in the world to work at Aalto University,
- Strengthening research networks with high-impact national and international partnerships at leading research institutes and initiatives,
- Leading key funding application reviews and facilitating application initiatives,
- Monitoring and reporting the research performance and multidisciplinary activities of the University.
You promote the common goals of the University and inspire and engage the whole Aalto community as part of the university leadership team. You lead Aalto’s research services as well our Vice Deans responsible for research in our six schools via Research Steering Group. The position is fixed term for a period of 5 years with a possibility of 5-year extension. You report to the provost.
Your experience and skills
Having understanding of our unique multidisciplinary profile, you are committed to promoting multidisciplinarity of these fields. We value your multidisciplinary experience as well as your diverse experience with different fields, methods and approaches of research.
To succeed in this role, you have -
Your passion and ambitions
- a doctoral degree in a relevant field;
- an excellent academic track record;
- a strong experience in managing, leading and inspiring academic communities;
- excellent leadership skills and you motivate and inspire people to work together towards a shared vision;
- good international networks and capacity to build your networks further and engage in rewarding collaboration;
- fluent in English, while knowledge of Finnish and Swedish is considered an asset;
- experience from versatile management and leadership positions is considered as a benefit.
You have a vision for Aalto University’s research agenda as well as passion for facilitating academic excellence and creating the best possible environment for research. You are a strategic thinker with the ability to paint the big picture and build common awareness. With commitment to advancing different research approaches, you are able to integrate research ideas from different communities and fruitfully orchestrate research initiatives.
You have an innovative self-starter spirit, and willingness to challenge the conventional, with passion to create something new together with others. With strong collaboration, interaction and negotiation skills, you foster excellent relations with Aalto’s schools, departments and all other stakeholders. You have a high level of ambition and integrity, and strong motivation to pave our way towards the top in our fields.
We offer you:
Ready to apply?
- A meaningful and inspiring work environment. We are proud of our purpose of shaping a sustainable future. We spark the game changers of tomorrow, and renew society with research-based knowledge, creativity and an entrepreneurial mindset.
- Culture that inspires and includes everyone. It’s the people that create Aalto, now and in the future. We want to be an open community where equality and inclusion enable curiosity, innovation, collaboration and wellbeing. We constantly keep learning to find the most impactful ways to empower - and invest in - our people. Because of our goals, we have high ambition level in everything we do. At the same time, we believe that great results can only come from healthy and happy employees.
- Responsible and meaningful role. Vice President of Research has a true impact in Aalto’s success, and in the end, in the wellbeing and development of our society.
- Vibrant campus. The Otaniemi campus is a thriving and connected community of 100 nationalities, over 13,000 students and 4,700 employees. Life at the transformed campus is vibrant and filled with amazing architecture, calming nature, and a variety of cafes, restaurants, services and good connections.
If you want to join our community, please send your CV (max. 3 pages + list of publications) and a motivation letter (max. 2 pages) as separate attachments (pdf-format), in English. In your motivation letter, please include a) your reason for applying for this position and, b) your vision for research excellence and societal impact of Aalto University. Applications are to be submitted through the link "Apply now!" no later than July 30, 2023.
Aalto University’s employees and visitors should apply for the position via the internal HR system Workday (Internal Jobs) by using their existing Workday user account (not via the external webpage for open positions).
If you wish to hear more about the position, you can reach out to
- the Chair of the recruitment committee, Distinguished Professor Jukka Seppälä on Thursday 6.7. on 14-15 and Monday 17.7. on 9-10, tel. +358 400 701 142 or / email@example.com
- For questions related to applying please contact Aalto’s HR services: firstname.lastname@example.org 27.6.-13.7. and 24.7.-28.7.
We will go through applications during the first weeks of August. You will hear from us latest at the end of week 32. The interviews will be held on 14th, 15th and 18th of August 2023. Due to the tight schedule, please make sure you are available during these days.
If you wish to get to know Aalto better and read more about the position and the process, you may do it here
Join us in shaping a sustainable future!
About Aalto University
Aalto University is where science and art meet technology and business. We shape a sustainable future by making research breakthroughs in and across our disciplines, sparking the game changers of tomorrow and creating novel solutions to major global challenges. Our community is made up of 13,000 students, 400 professors and close to 4,500 other faculty and staff working on our dynamic campus in Espoo, Greater Helsinki, Finland.
We believe that people from diverse backgrounds can together reach the best results. Diversity is part of who we are. Over 45% of our academic faculty come from outside Finland. We warmly encourage qualified candidates from all backgrounds to apply, as we want to ensure the continued diversity and inclusiveness of our community. Aalto is committed to equal and transparent recruitment procedures.
At Aalto, high-quality research, art, education and entrepreneurship are promoted hand in hand. Disciplinary excellence is combined with multidisciplinary activities, engaging both students and the local innovation ecosystem. Our main campus is quickly transforming into an open collaboration hub that encourages encounters between students, researchers, industry, startups and other partners. Aalto University was founded in 2010 as three leading Finnish universities, Helsinki University of Technology, the Helsinki School of Economics and the University of Art and Design Helsinki, were merged to strengthen Finland’s innovative capability.
Aalto-yliopisto hakee uutta tutkimuksesta vastaavaa vararehtoria.
Tehtävässä olet avainroolissa toteuttamassa Aallon strategiaa ja rakentamassa edellytyksiä huipputason tutkimukselle. Tutustu tehtävän tavoitteisiin ja odotuksiimme englanninkielisestä ilmoituksesta yllä.
Haethan tehtävää 30.7.2023 mennessä lähettämällä CV:n, julkaisuluettelon ja motivaatiokirjeesi englanniksi Workday rekrytointijärjestelmäämme ”Apply now” linkistä. Vastaathan motivaatiokirjeessäsi näihin kahteen kysymykseen: a) your reason for applying for this position and, b) your vision for research excellence and societal impact of Aalto University.
Komitean puheenjohtaja Jukka Seppälä vastaa mielellään kysymyksiisi.
More about Aalto University: