Would you like to receive more jobs like this via email?
If you'd like, Academic Keys can email you similar job openings. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Don't want to subscribe? That's OK too!
Would you like to receive more jobs like this via email?
Search for University Jobs in Senior Administration
Director of Marketing & Communications, College of Business (4492)
Northern Illinois University
With approximately 16,000 students, Northern Illinois University (NIU) is one of the largest public universities in the state of Illinois. NIU strives to improve outcomes for all students by identifying and removing barriers that disproportionately hinder the academic achievement and student experience of historically and currently underserved populations. The AACSB-accredited College of Business provides a highly engaged learning experience for approximately 2,000 undergraduates and 900 graduate students and is deeply committed to building and sustaining an inclusive and equitable working and learning environment for all of our students, staff, and faculty. NIU’s geographical reach extends beyond its main DeKalb campus (65 miles west of downtown Chicago, 60 miles from the O’Hare International Airport, and 40 miles west of Naperville – a booming community with one of the best school systems in the nation.) to satellite campuses in Naperville, Rockford, Hoffman Estates, and Chicago as well as to students online.
The Director of Marketing and Communication for the College of Business will report to the dean of the college and work closely with the university’s associate vice president of Institutional Communications/Chief Communications Strategist in the Division of Enrollment Management, Marketing and Communication (EMMC) on an integrated marketing and communications effort. The role offers a mix of in-person and remote work flexibility year-round, and on occasion, requires evening and weekend hours.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Works closely with the dean of COB, and partner EMMC, to create and execute an overall marketing, public relations, and social media strategy to raise the profile of the college and advance its recruitment, communication, educational, and service delivery goals.
- Works with EMMC to maintain the college’s sub-brand, and messaging within the context of the university’s brand, and develop methods to communicate it in a systematic way.
- Serves as the primary writer and editor for the COB which includes writing marketing emails, collateral, remarks, preparing presentations, researching and writing stories, and producing and disseminating publications to prospective students, current faculty and staff, COB alumni and other targeted audiences.
- Identifies and assists in pitching news stories to promote the talents and expertise of the college, its faculty and students.
- Maintains the College’s digital presence including website, social media and news blog.
- Assists with planning and programming for college events as directed by the dean.
- Supports programs within COB in developing and disseminating promotional messages, materials, and events, and analyzing success metrics.
- Assists the dean and university with issues management and crisis communications.
- Serves as an active member of NIU’s College and Division Communicators and select sub-committees, fostering ideas and the sharing of information.
Minimum Required Qualifications (Civil Service)
CREDENTIALS TO BE VERIFIED BY PLACEMENT OFFICER
1. Bachelor’s degree in marketing, business administration, communications, public relations or a related field.
2. One (1) year (12 months) of professional experience working in the advertising, promotions, public relations, communications, journalism, or a related field.
3.Five (5) years of professional work experience in communications, public relations and/or marketing in managing social media for an organization.
*Note Master’s Degree in an area consistent with the duties of the position may be substituted for one (1) year (12 months) of work experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSAs)
1. Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
2. Knowledge of recruitment practices.
3. Knowledge of social media analytics, social media publishing tools, web analytics, and tracking technologies.
4. Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
5. Knowledge of media production, including social media platforms and efficiency of use, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods.
6. Knowledge of Microsoft Office, presentation software, spreadsheet software, video creation and editing software, web page creation and editing software, and analytical or scientific software.
7. Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems.
8. Skill in producing live social media coverage.
9. Skill in verbal and written communication.
10. Skill in identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
11. Skill in time management, organizing work assignments, and responding quickly and effectively to challenges.
12. Ability to develop and execute marketing, and strategic communications plans to effect outcomes.
Specialty Factors (Civil Service)
Preferred Qualifications (Civil Service)
- At least two (2) years of professional experience managing and creating social media content.
- Excellent writing, editing and verbal skills.
- Ability to identify communication goals in the framework of overall marketing and public relations goals and develop clear, focused communications strategy to meet those goals.
- Superior customer service orientation skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, enthusiasm, and willingness to “go the extra mile.”
- Ability to meet deadlines and be accommodating to “urgent” projects.
- Ability to perform well under pressure and juggle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Ability to build and maintain business relationships through excellent diplomacy, negotiation, and trust.
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |