Business Systems Analyst, Berkeley Financial Systems (7584U)
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: January 24, 2020
The Controller's Office provides oversight of various University financial services including financial accounting and controls, accounts receivable, accounts payable, contracts and grants accounting, and payroll. The Controller's Office also provides analyst support for the PeopleSoft Financials system which consists of the General Ledger, Accounts Payable, Purchasing, Commitment Control, Accounts Receivable, Billing, Contracts, Grants and Project Costing modules.
Together with development partners in IT, the objective of business systems analyst group is to operationalize a continuous cycle of technical improvements and feature enhancements in the PeopleSoft Financials system and its associated applications. These applications support processes in General Ledger, Account Payable, Account Receivable, Billing, Contracts and Grants and Budgeting. To ensure the success of these mission-critical systems, the business systems analyst group is staffed with functional experts who will test and implement new features, respond to campus needs, and keep all systems running optimally throughout the fiscal cycle.
The Business Systems Analyst position involves analyzing large-scale business processes and problems; developing solutions involving the use of computer systems, information flow and architecture; creating specifications for systems to meet requirements; validating requirements against needs; designing details of automated systems; developing user interface design; planning and executing unit integration and acceptance testing. The role may lead cross-functional teams to solve complex business or systems issues.
- Applies technical expertise and business analysis concepts to identify, evaluate and define complex systems scope and objectives through research and fact-finding combined with an understanding of applicable business systems and industry requirements
- Provides technical expertise in identifying, evaluating and developing complex systems and procedures.
- Gathers, analyzes, prepares and summarizes business and user needs, documenting requirements, and revising existing system logic difficulties as necessary.
- Creates complex specifications for systems to meet user requirements.
- Applies business systems concepts to design details of complex automated systems.
- Develops complex user interface designs.
- Works as a liaison between stakeholders and the development team to translate business requirements into functional design documents and is able to communicate back to stakeholders if there are any technical limitations for a particular enhancements or design.
- Plans and executes unit integration and acceptance testing.
- Participates in cross-functional teams to solve complex business or systems issues.
- Guides and advises less-experienced Business Systems Analysts.
- Provides user support and training on new applications.
- A few years of PeopleSoft FSCM functional implementation or upgrade experience required. Experience with version 9.2 preferred.
- Requires intermediate knowledge of business analysis function including business process mapping and PeopleSoft program design.
- Requires strong knowledge of related modules or systems.
- In depth knowledge of contracts and grants processes and procedures strongly preferred.
- Proven ability to think analytically and use independent judgement.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Requires strong interpersonal and communications skills in order to work with both technical and non-technical personnel at various levels in the organization, including strong writing skills. Has demonstrated strong ability to communicate systems issues to non-technical staff.
- Strong knowledge of applicable industry standards and best practices for business analysts at all stages of the implementation life cycle required.
- Good knowledge of accounting practices and principles required.
- At least a few years experience using creativity and initiative to analyze and solve problems of diverse scope.
- At least a few years of experience with project management practices, principles, techniques and tools. Some experience with the Agile methodology preferred.
- Strong knowledge of PeopleSoft Query tool and PeopleSoft Financials table structure required.
- Strong knowledge of one or more of the following PeopleSoft Modules: General Ledger, Accounts Payable and/or Budget modules with at least a couple years of experience supporting these modules.
- Experience with system conversions, implementing customizations and system interfaces preferred.
- Ability to teach and train others.
- Assist less experienced BSA's
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or management information systems and/or equivalent experience/training
Salary & Benefits
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=4798&PostingSeq=1