Search for University Jobs in Senior Administration
Assistant Director of Business Services
Northern Illinois University
The College of Engineering and Engineering Technology at Northern Illinois University provides a diverse body of students who aspire to be engineering innovators and leaders with excellence in education, research, scholarly activities and impactful engagement with industry, government and communities. The Business Administrative Associate is critical to the college in providing vision and support to the dean and administrative staff in the areas of Financial Management and Reporting, and HR Management
This position is critical to the function of the college for moving business processes forward, managing and reporting on budget, and collaborating with the dean and administrative assistant on personnel matters.
This individual’s primary function in this position includes: the reasonability for timely and accurate business operations of the College of Engineering & Engineering Technology, coordination of budget preparation, development and financial reporting with the office of Budget and Planning and Provost Office and provision of financial, budgetary and operational advisement and management to the Dean of the College of Engineering and Engineering Technology with guidance to the departmental chairs and directors, this includes guidance to the operating staff where appropriate; monitoring and control of expenditures.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Support and guide Departments and operating staff to ensure accurate cost center records for financial transactions in all cost centers.
- Monitor PeopleSoft financial reports, in conjunction with office / department staff to resolve discrepancies and budgetary issues.
- Supervise and evaluate the work of support staff members to assist in managing the day-to-day fiscal activities of the College.
- Provide direction and assist in implementing strategies for the College to achieve its institutional priorities to responsibly manage fiscal resources and promote ethically-inspired leadership.
- Directly supervise Business Manager.
- Advise the CEET Dean on status of budget and other business issues related to college programs. Review existing business programs.
- Create, review, and where appropriate, recommend modifications in internal business procedures to improve efficiencies for the College.
- Perform data collection and analysis to support college functions and make projections that may influence the college strategic direction.
- Prepare and submit all College of Engineering & Engineering Technology cost center budget development forms and monitor PeopleSoft financials. Assist departments with forecasting revenue, track financial commitments, and create budget efficiencies. Submit budget transfer forms as needed to balance cost centers.
- Maintain up-to-date financial records of the CEET indirect cost center activity and administer distribution of overhead account funds. Advise and assist the Dean in the control of all cost centers.
- Self-sufficiently monitor and analyze college budgetary activity, perform data analysis, and create ad hoc reports, including but not limited to cost center budget versus actuals and unit burn rate reports.
- Attend meetings and serve on committees at the direction of the Dean.
- Work with CEET staff to facilitate personnel actions. Review personnel appointments for faculty, supportive professional staff, operating staff, student employment, graduate assistantships, extra help, etc. to ensure accuracy and budget authority.
- Review and approve appointments in the People Admin system to facilitate and fulfill “Business Manger” roll for all personnel actions including faculty, instructors, Supportive professional staff, operating staff, extra help, etc.
Administrative Staff Support and Training
- Prepare and provide information in coordination with other CEET Dean’s departmental staff providing ongoing education to operating staff and at periodic training workshops for CEET staff.
- Training focus including but not limited to process changes, budgetary compliance, PeopleSoft financial reporting and Human Resource personnel hiring processes and Illinois and University business policies and procedures.
- Create and maintain electronic records to monitor and analyze college budgetary activity and program expenditures using Microsoft Office Suite.
Perform Other Related Duties as Assigned
Minimum Required Qualifications (Civil Service)
CREDENTIALS TO BE VERIFIED BY PLACEMENT OFFICER
1. Bachelor’s degree in business administration, management, or a field
related to the position.
2. Two (2) years of professional business, financial, and/or managerial
(NOTE: A Master’s Degree in an area consistent with the duties of the
position may be substituted for one (1) year (12 months) of work
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs) (Civil Service)
- Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership techniques, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, data entry, designing forms, and other office procedures and terminology.
- Knowledge of technology including electronic equipment, computer hardware and software, and their applications.
- Knowledge of basic arithmetic, algebra, statistics, and their applications.
- Ability to identify complex problems and review related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Ability to work collaboratively and communicate effectively as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Ability to work independently and effectively organize and prioritize multiple tasks.
- Ability to analyze and develop guidelines, procedures and systems to outline specific goals and implement plans to prioritize, organize, and accomplish tasks.
- Ability to manage a budget and work within the constraints of that budget.
- Ability to analyze, interpret, and explain work related documents, policies, and procedures.
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |