The division of Academic Affairs seeks an experienced communications strategist and writer to provide effective communications support and counsel to the Executive Vice President and Provost, their leadership team and units that report to the EVPP.
The position will oversee a broad range of communications to ensure cohesive messaging that supports the EVPP’s key initiatives and enhances NIU’s academic image and reputation, in alignment with the university vision, mission, values and goals.
The position will report directly to NIU’s associate vice president of Institutional Communications/Chief Communications Strategist, with a dotted line to the EVPP’s chief of staff.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Assists Executive Vice President and Provost to determine priorities, set goals, and create strategies for communications that will foster a culture of shared leadership, strong employee engagement, student success and connectivity. Creates, coordinates and/or implements comprehensive communications plans for all major initiatives, as well as crisis and issues communication.
Minimum Required Qualifications (Civil Service)
CREDENTIALS TO BE VERIFIED BY PLACEMENT OFFICER
1. Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, public relations/affairs or related field.
2. 8 years in public relations in higher education or other non-profit environment, with a focus on strategic communications and extensive experience in writing for a variety of audiences, including strong research skills, as well as managing issues and crisis communications.
*Note Master’s Degree in an area consistent with the duties of the position may be substituted for one (1) year (12 months) of work experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSAs)
1. Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
2. Knowledge of recruitment practices.
3. Knowledge of social media analytics, social media publishing tools, web analytics, and tracking technologies.
4. Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
5. Knowledge of media production, including social media platforms and efficiency of use, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods.
6. Knowledge of Microsoft Office, presentation software, spreadsheet software, video creation and editing software, web page creation and editing software, and analytical or scientific software.
7. Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems.
8. Skill in producing live social media coverage.
9. Skill in verbal and written communication.
10. Skill in identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
11. Skill in time management, organizing work assignments, and responding quickly and effectively to challenges.
12. Ability to develop and execute marketing, and strategic communications plans to effect outcomes.
Specialty Factors (Civil Service)
Preferred Qualifications (Civil Service)
More than 8 years in public relations in higher education or other non-profit environment, with a focus on strategic communications and extensive experience in writing for a variety of audiences, including strong research skills, as well as managing issues and crisis communications.
Operates with a high level of discretion and minimal supervision
Performs a wide range of duties that require sensitivity, independent judgment, diplomacy and flexibility.
Solid working knowledge of public relations best practices, strategies and systems.
Knowledge of strategies for effective communication with different constituencies (e.g., students, faculty, staff and external stakeholders).
Strong and polished written and verbal skills, with an ability to write clearly and concisely and to synthesize complex information
Impeccable interpersonal skills, and strong ability to collaborate and function in a team setting
Excellent organizational and project management skills, with attention to detail and an ability to handle multiple priorities simultaneously.
Demonstrated commitment to handling sensitive information confidentially.
The role will have flexibility in regards to working remotely and on-campus.
Occasionally requires working in the evening or on weekends.