Search for University Jobs in Senior Administration
Director, Global Experience Office
Worcester Polytechnic Institute
Director, Global Experience Office
Integrative & Global Studies
Worcester Polytechnic Institute - WPI
JOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARY
The Global Experience Office (GEO), housed within The Global School provides oversight and logistical support for WPI's Global Projects Program (GPP) and all other university sponsored off-campus travel. Through the GPP, WPI provides students with the opportunity to complete projects required for graduation at one of over 50 sites in the US and abroad. Over 1000 students participate in one of these faculty-led programs each year.
The director of the Global Experience Office along with the dean of The Global School and associate dean form the leadership team for the Global Projects Program. The director leads a team of professional staff to support operations, logistics, and student experience of the GPP. The director of the Global Experience Office works collaboratively with the Director of Global Risk Management to support the safety of all travelers in the GPP and other university-sponsored off-campus travel.
WPI is passionate about creating an inclusive workplace that promotes and values diversity. We are looking for candidates who can support our commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion.
For the Global Projects Program:
- Serve on the leadership team for the GPP and ensure ongoing programmatic excellence, and consistent quality of program administration, operations, and processes.
- Oversee student recruitment and selection processes for the GPP, including outreach and education for students, and working with project center directors and participating faculty to ensure consistency, fairness, and equity in the selection process.
- Oversee financial matters including Faculty COBLA estimates, housing costs, scholarships and student billing.
- Oversee and guide project center operations for the GPP including supporting center directors and other WPI personnel in the maintenance of appropriate standards for housing, health, safety, risk management and standards of good practice at each location.
- Initiate, develop and deliver, in partnership with other campus departments, training and learning opportunities for traveling faculty advisors, center directors, and others related to supporting student success on the GPP.
For all university sponsored off-campus travel:
- Assist the Director of Global Risk Management with overseeing the risk management function for all off-campus programs, ensuring that WPI is prepared for small- and large-scale emergencies and work with Global Experience Office staff to coordinate WPI response as appropriate.
- Develop and assess policies and procedures as related to university sponsored off-campus travel and direct response to inquiries regarding health, safety, and security at WPI's off-campus project centers. Collaborate with Student Affairs and Marketing & Communication as appropriate when communicating about incidents that occur on university sponsored off-campus travel.
- Oversee student participation on off-campus programs. Facilitate academic and judicial review meetings between students and faculty by leading meetings or providing training and support to Global Experience Office staff. Recommend academic or behavioral contracts, liaise with WPI dean of students and student support services to implement contracts, judicial sanctions, and plans for ongoing student support. Lead decision-making process when student participation on off-campus programs is in question.
- Lead the Global School's compliance with statutory and regulatory requirements as they relate to Title IX, the Clery Act, US and EU privacy regulations, and related state and federal laws and regulations. Serve as Title IX Deputy Coordinator: coordinate and ensure the timely response and investigation of complaints on off-campus programs pursuant to Title IX, including sexual harassment and sexual misconduct as well as other forms of gender-based harassment and inequity.
- Oversee approval process for non-project related university travel.
- Oversee and manage all information relating to the GPP and other Global School-related programming, collaborating with campus partners to improve data management systems.
- Oversee all GEO personnel including staff recruitment, hiring, training and performance evaluation. Serve as primary supervisor of 6 professional staff members. Develop, assess, and revise learning outcomes for professional staff and the department
- Develop strategic goals, oversee their implementation, and ensure continued assessment of strategic objectives.
- Keep Dean of the Global School apprised of emerging or ongoing issues in areas of responsibility.
- Stay abreast of best practices in faculty-led education abroad and network with colleagues via professional associations. Set expectations for faculty project advisors with regard to health and safety issues and lead faculty training on these issues.
- Work with the Dean, faculty and center directors to plan, advocate for, and implement strategies to expand and improve the educational opportunities afforded students through the GPP and other Global School-related operations.
- Represent WPI among external audiences via publications and presentations at conferences and networking within the education abroad and other communities.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Master's degree in a related field (e.g., International Relations, International Education, or Education Administration) with a minimum of five years at a leadership level in the field of education abroad or experiential learning.
- Significant previous experience with faculty-led models of education abroad.
- Experience in the administration of an education abroad or other complex office environment. Preference given to applicants with additional student life administration experience.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement successful strategic plans in higher education or other relevant setting.
- Deep understanding of the landscape and challenges of education abroad, including extensive experience managing international incidents.
- Strong aptitude for relationship-building with a wide range of constituencies and evidence of excellent management and communication skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity.
- International living and/or study abroad experience strongly preferred. Knowledge of a second language relevant to WPI programs desirable.
- Proficiency in using commonly available administrative technologies.
WPI requires employees to be fully-vaccinated (including a booster shot) for COVID-19. For additional information on WPI's response to COVID-19, refer to https://www.wpi.edu/we-are-wpi
United States of America (Exempt)
WPI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability. We are seeking individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences who will contribute to a culture of creativity and collaboration, inclusion, problem solving and change making.
To apply, visit: https://wpi.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/WPI_External_Career_Site/job/Worcester/Director--Global-Experience-Office_R0001856
WPI is a vibrant, active, and diverse community of extraordinary students, world-renowned faculty, and state of the art research facilities. At WPI, we have competitive and comprehensive benefits, including health insurance, long-term care, retirement, tuition assistance, flexible spending accounts, work-life balance and much more.
Diversity & Inclusion at WPI
WPI is committed to creating an inclusive workplace where everyone feels valued and respected; a place where every student, faculty and staff member can be themselves, so that they can study, live, and work comfortably, to reach their full potential, and make meaningful contributions in order to meet departmental and institutional goals. WPI thrives on innovative practice and welcomes diverse perspectives, insight, and people from diverse lived experiences, to enhance the community environment and propel the institution to the next level in a competitive, global marketplace.
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |