Search for University Jobs in Senior Administration
Employee Relations Manager
Oakland Community College
SUMMARY OF PURPOSE:
This position will provide leadership and exemplary support on all employee relations matters at the College. This position will conduct workplace investigations and lead college wide training on best practices for promoting a harassment-free workplace and creating a first-class workplace culture and environment. The employee is expected to work in a multi-cultural, diverse working environment.
This description is intended to indicate the types of duties and responsibilities requested of the employee assigned this title. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all the duties and responsibilities that may be required:
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Provides hands-on employee relations guidance, consultation, advice, and support on day-to-day issues to campus and worksite administrators including, but not limited to: employee and worksite complaints, employee misconduct, employee discipline, change management, worksite investigations, interpretation of work rules, absence management, performance management, the disciplinary process, and other employee relations matters.
- Conducts workplace investigations, analyzes facts, and provides findings on employee and workplace complaints, misconduct, work rule violations, and disciplinary matters in accordance with applicable college policies; work rules; elated local, state, and federal laws; and in accordance with applicable collective bargaining/labor agreements.
- Conducts initial interviews and gathers information for workplace complaints and investigations and all other employee relations matters.
- Evaluates, develops, recommends, and implements college wide employee relations policies and practices to improve employee engagement, retention, and morale.
- Conducts due process and disciplinary hearings; provides recommendations and outcome letters on disciplinary matters.
- Receives, processes, manages, and investigates internal employee and workplace complaints and work rule violations including the preparation of all investigative findings and investigative reports.
- Maintains appropriate employee relations files in a confidential manner.
- Provides in-service training to administrative and supervisory staff on work rules, employee discipline, employee performance management, coaching, and best practices for employee relations.
- Assists administrators and supervisors in the interpretation of college work rules, regulations, policies, and procedures as they relate to employee complaints, employee conduct, employee performance, and coaching management.
- Prepares written summaries, investigative reports, and recommendations related to employee complaints and disciplinary matters.
- Receives, assists with, and investigates Title IX complaints; monitors compliance with Title IX to ensure and promote a positive, productive, and equitable college wide environment.
- Attends grievance and arbitration hearings as required and necessary.
- Administers and assists with the administration of discipline in coordination and in accordance with work rules, collective bargaining agreements, and college policies.
- Maintains a collaborative relationship with the academic, administrative, student services, human resources, and legal divisions to ensure effective and timely efforts to address issues of equal opportunity and college policy development and compliance.
- Supervises assigned staff to complete job duties.
- Fulfills other related duties and responsibilities as assigned or required by the Vice Chancellor of HR/DEIJ.
- Ability to work additional hours, as needed.
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Demonstrated experience leading organizational employee relations and conducting workplace investigations within a complex organization preferred
- Demonstrated experience conducting complicated investigations and the administration of compliance programs preferred
- Demonstrated ability of managing highly sensitive and confidential information with strong skills in conflict resolution, problem solving techniques, interviewing, and investigations.
- Exceptional critical thinking skills with the ability to analyze information, evaluate results, and write concise, logical, and analytical reports to convey complex issues
- Dynamic leader with a thorough knowledge of investigations, investigatory methodology, and performance management
- Ability to work independently and be self-motivated, while handling multiple assignments
- Ability to establish and maintain professional and productive working relationships with college wide staff at all levels preferred
- Strong and effective interpersonal skills and the ability to listen well and demonstrate sensitivity to and respect for individual needs
- Knowledge of best practices in employee relations, equal employment opportunity, and employee training preferred
- Effective writing skills for report preparation and the ability to prepare and present reports to all levels of management and administration
- Strong analytical, problem solving, logic/research, and documentation skills with experience conducting investigations.
- Working knowledge of nondiscrimination laws, compliance regulations, and due process protections preferred.
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines
- Demonstrated experience in the successful development and implementation of employee education and training programs preferred
- Title IX Investigator training certification a plus
EDUCATION: Bachelor's degree in human resources, employee relations, labor relations, industrial relations, organizational management, public administration, pre-law, communications, or related field required. Juris Doctorate or graduate degree in human resources or related field a plus.
EXPERIENCE: Six (6) of more years of combined experience in any of the following: employee relations, employee investigations, Title IX investigations, labor relations, human resources compliance, human resources, administrative proceedings, employment investigations, or employment law, preferred.
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |