Northern Illinois University (NIU) seeks a dynamic, collaborative academic leader to serve as Vice President for Student Affairs (VPSA). NIU is a high research (R2) and Carnegie-engaged institution that enrolls over 16,500 students, approximately 750 international students and 4,500 graduate students.Located 65 miles from downtown Chicago, in DeKalb, Illinois, NIU is a thriving community of dedicated faculty, staff, students, alumni, local residents, and friends. Together, we support the goal of providing upward social mobility to our students as well as the opportunity to make an enduring impact on their futures. The successful candidate will propel the division into the future, developing a rich student-centered experience grounded in NIU’s mission and, importantly, share in NIU’s commitment to creating an equitable and inclusive learning and living environment.Position SummaryThe VPSA serves as the Chief Student Affairs Officer for the University, is a member of the President’s Leadership team, and provides administrative management for the Division of Student Affairs and its departments. The incumbent will oversee the units that develop and manage programs and policies that enhance the quality of student life and student engagement; provide essential institutional support services that enable students to accomplish their educational objectives; facilitate opportunities for academic, personal, and social development of students; coordinate intentional links between formal academic learning and student life experiences; respond to student concerns; and coordinate university response and assistance to students in crisis situations.The Vice President for Student Affairs is an innovative thought-leader who can maintain an equity lens to provide strategic and visionary leadership to the division. Specifically, Northern Illinois University strives to improve outcomes for all students by identifying and removing barriers that disproportionately hinder the academic achievement and student experience of historically and currently underserved populations. The VPSA will be expected to effectuate traditional and non-traditional educational experiences that are tailored to meet the needs of diverse learners. The Vice President for Student Affairs leads a team that provides high-touch services in support of holistic student success, persistence, and completion. In partnership with the Provost and colleagues in Academic Affairs and the Division of Academic Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, they lead the development of support resources and co-curricular engagement opportunities that enable all students to have a sense of belonging and inclusion within the NIU community.The Vice President shall oversee the preparation of the Student Affairs budget and effectively monitor the use and expenditure of allocated resources. The VPSA advises the President, the Executive Vice President and Provost, other university administrators, administrative offices, and faculty on all matters concerning student life, student life policy and procedures, student services, programs, and activities. They provide leadership to the Division of Student Affairs to promote the University’s goal of diversity, equity, and inclusion in its programs, services, and activities. The Vice President shall create an environment that encourages student engagement, promotes the development of student leadership, and promotes the values of a strong Greek life community.
As the senior student experience and student life officer for the University, the Vice President will:
* Provide guidance for and oversight of student engagement and leadership initiatives and champion student retention efforts, particularly within student affairs;
* Expand and enhance productive and collaborative relationships with internal partners and constituents;
* Grow, maintain and enhance productive and collaborative relationships with all segments of the community that have an interest in the work of the university
* Ensure that an equity lens is used throughout the Division, and that equity, diversity and inclusion underpin the activities in Student Affairs;
* Implement policies and decisions of the President and the Executive Vice President and Provost, assuring University compliance with federal and state regulations within student affairs areas.
The Vice President oversees the following units:
* Counseling and Consultation Services, and Student Wellness Services
* Student Health Services (outsourced)
* Disability Resource Center
* Housing and Residential Services
* Campus Dining Services
* Holmes Student Center
* Student organizations, student government, and student activities
* Fraternity and Sorority Life
* Student Conduct
* Center for Student Assistance
* Military and Veteran Services
* Commuter and Off Campus Programs
* Students’ Legal Assistance
* Husky Food Pantry
The Division of Student Affairs has an annual operating budget of $63.3 million with 147 full-time employees.