Search for University Jobs in Senior Administration
Assistant Director of Academic Advising
Worcester Polytechnic Institute
Assistant Director of Academic Advising
Worcester Polytechnic Institute - WPI
JOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARY
This Assistant Director position supports undergraduate students from a developmental advising approach, educates students in a flexible and creative learning environment, and is an active participant in collaborating with students, faculty and staff to promote academic success. The academic advising office reinforces the goals of WPI, in providing an education (that) encompasses continuous striving for excellence coupled with an examination of the contexts of learning so that knowledge is won not only for its own sake but also for the sake of the human community of which the people of WPI are part. This position is an integral member of the advising office, by helping students identify resources to support them in their academic, career, and personal goals as they interactively engage in the local and global environment. The Assistant Director of Academic Advising is responsible for leading the development, implementation, and assessment of academic advising programs for first-year students. This includes oversight of Community Advisors, hiring and supporting Insight Advisors, development of in-person and online advising programs to support first-year students, and collaboration with campus stakeholders to promote retention efforts.
- Coordinates hiring, training and supervision of the Senior Community Advisors and Community Advisor Staff through the Insight Program. Hires, supports, and provides educational experiences for Insight Advisors.
- Represents the Office of Academic Advising in New Student Orientation planning.
- Collaborates with campus professionals to develop programming for incoming and first-year students. Specifically, coordinates online advising sessions for incoming students and large-scale programming for first-year Students, including New Student Orientation and Get More Insight Day.
- Coordinates with academic departments to develop and promote programs that facilitate faculty-student interaction for first-year students.
- Assesses student's stage of development (academic, career, and personal) and promotes student growth by determining suitable developmental goals and tasks. Assists students in developing decision making skills relevant to educational options and possible outcomes. Provides group and individual counseling in developing effective learning strategies. Develops individual academic plans and monitors students' academic progress.
- Provides options for students pertaining to course selection. Connects students with faculty advisors and resources.
- Supports academically at-risk students, including students who are not making satisfactory academic progress. Provides individual coaching sessions for students based on an evaluation of the student's academic and personal background.
- In support of WPI's faculty advising model, provides academic advising guidance to a caseload of first-year, sophomore, junior, and senior students.
- Represents the Office of Academic Advising on various campus-wide committees.
- Maintains memberships in appropriate professional organizations such as the National Academic Advising Association (NACADA). When applicable, presents at the regional and national conferences.
- Perform other duties as assigned
- A Master's degree preferred. Two years or more of experience in academic support and /or student development at the college level preferred.
- Proven ability to coordinate and prioritize details for multiple programs and to develop academic skills with individual college students.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate well orally and in writing and work well with diverse populations.
- Demonstrated experience in the development, presentation and evaluation of a full range of academic support services for students.
- Knowledge of research and theoretical perspectives of factors affecting student learning, achievement and retention.
- Knowledge of various learning styles and related teaching approaches.
- A proven ability to direct training activities and conduct counseling sessions.
- Applicants must have demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace and/or commitment to do so as an employee at WPI.
- WPI is passionate about creating an inclusive workplace that promotes and values diversity. We are looking for candidates who can support our commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion.
United States of America (Exempt)
WPI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability. We are seeking individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences who will contribute to a culture of creativity and collaboration, inclusion, problem solving and change making.
To apply, visit: https://wpi.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/WPI_External_Career_Site/job/Worcester/Assistant-Director-of-Academic-Advising_R0001126
WPI is a vibrant, active, and diverse community of extraordinary students, world-renowned faculty, and state of the art research facilities. At WPI, we have competitive and comprehensive benefits, including health insurance, long-term care, retirement, tuition assistance, flexible spending accounts, work-life balance and much more.
Diversity & Inclusion at WPI
WPI is committed to creating an inclusive workplace where everyone feels valued and respected; a place where every student, faculty and staff member can be themselves, so that they can study, live, and work comfortably, to reach their full potential, and make meaningful contributions in order to meet departmental and institutional goals. WPI thrives on innovative practice and welcomes diverse perspectives, insight, and people from diverse lived experiences, to enhance the community environment and propel the institution to the next level in a competitive, global marketplace.
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |