The director will report to the Dean of the CHHS and work closely with the university’s associate vice president of Institutional Communications/Chief Communications Strategist in the Division of Enrollment Management, Marketing and Communication (EMMC) on an integrated marketing and communications effort.
Duties and Responsibilities (generally)
This position is responsible for developing, managing and executing internal and external communications for CHSS, while ensuring integration and alignment with the rest of the university.
- Works closely with the Dean of CHHS, and partner EMMC, to create and execute an overall marketing, public relations and social media strategy to raise the profile of the College and advance its recruitment, communication, educational, and service delivery goals.
- Serves as the primary writer and editor for the CHHS which includes writing remarks, preparing presentations, researching and writing stories, selecting and editing stories written by other offices, and producing and disseminating publications to CHHS alumni and other targeted audiences.
- Maintains the College’s digital presence including website, social media and news blog with content from all schools.
- Works with EMMC to maintain the college’s sub-brand, and messaging within the context of the university’s brand, and develop methods to communicate it in a systematic way.
- Oversees planning and programming for college events as directed by the dean.
- Supports programs within CHHS in developing and disseminating promotional messages, materials, and events.
- Serve as an active member of NIU’s College and Division Communicators and select sub-committees, fostering ideas and the sharing of information.
- Assists the dean and university with issues management and crisis communications.
Minimum Required Qualifications for this position
1. Bachelor’s degree in marketing, business administration, communications, public relations, advertising, journalism or a closely related field.
2. Seven (7) years of professional work experience in marketing, public relations, communications, brand management, journalism, promotions, advertising or event planning in an academic, corporate, or agency setting.
Note: Master’s Degree in an area consistent with the duties of the position may be substituted for one (1) year (12 months) of work experience.
Specialty Factors (Additional Required Qualifications)
Education and Experience Preferred
Strongest consideration will be given to candidates with:
- Marketing and communications experience in a university, other educational organization, or in a similar not-for-profit setting.
- Supervisory Experience.
List the knowledge, skills, and abilities critical to the performance of this position.
- Experience managing freelancers and part-time workers.
Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
- Working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite