The Tufts Annual Giving Team (TAG) is responsible for the strategy, design, and implementation of a comprehensive annual fundraising and stewardship program, with an emphasis on leadership annual giving, class-based reunion fundraising, volunteer-driven fundraising, and donor-centric communications and marketing.
Annual giving at Tufts benefits from a quasi-centralized structure. While the centrally managed TAG team provides strategic direction for annual giving across undergraduate, graduate, and professional school-based programs, these school-based annual funds are managed and run mostly independently. Together, these programs raise over $22M in annual fund achievement.
This new Annual Fund Marketing (AFM) team will streamline and improve existing annual fund marketing efforts. The AFM team will work collaboratively across the university to create communications that inspire annual fund support and are tailored to its varied constituents. The team strives for continuous improvement while leveraging industry insight and data to inform growth strategies, predict and respond to trends, and test new ideas
What You'll Do
As a member of the Tufts Annual Giving leadership team, the Director of Annual Giving Marketing will focus on implementing a centralized, university-wide annual giving marketing strategy. They will lead content and strategy for the newly formed annual fund marketing team.
The director will work in collaboration with the Director of Annual Giving Strategy and Analytics to set the marketing strategy and implement multi-channel annual marketing campaigns for all of Tufts’ annual giving programs. This role will be charged with developing the creative and content strategies for our annual giving programs in partnership with school-based teams.
Each annual fund campaign—essentially a multi-channel solicitation and stewardship strategy—will include some or all of the following channels: Email, direct mail, phone, crowdfunding, P2P texting, video, giving days, social media and digital advertising. The Director of Marketing will ensure best practices are developed and deployed with an eye to testing new and existing strategies. Their team will track and analyze all campaigns and ensure that learned outcomes are recorded and communicated with stakeholders and University Advancement leadership.
In collaboration with individual schools, the annual fund marketing team will develop and implement a marketing cycle that focuses on alignment between university and school specific goals and consistent constituent messaging across channels. Robust data analysis will be used to improve all engagement, solicitation, and stewardship campaigns.
The Director of Marketing will be integral to the development and deployment of strategies that seek to unite our direct marketing and digital solicitation eco-system. They will work cross-functionally on projects aimed at providing a seamless experience between our digital and direct solicitation programs.
The director will also participate in Tufts University Advancement events and programming as needed or appropriate. They will take on additional projects as appropriate and needed.
What We're Looking For
Minimum Required Experience, Education, Background, and Certifications/Licenses
1. Years of related experience required: 10 years relevant experience in higher education/non-profit fundraising or equivalent experience in for-profit marketing, sales, or related fields.
2. Required education: Bachelor’s Degree, or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
3. Special licenses required:
4. Required computer/technical skills: Direct marketing expertise, database management experience, Microsoft Office
5. Other (Describe – i.e., lifting, domestic/foreign travel, foreign language):
• Strong written and verbal communication skills are required. Candidate must be comfortable presenting in front of groups.
• Must be articulate, personable, well organized and able to handle multiple projects concurrently.
Additional Preferred Experience, Education, etc.
• Previous work with a crowdfunding platform is a plus.
• Previous experience using Salesforce Marketing Cloud or similar is preferred.
• Social media marketing
• Experience managing vendor relationships and working with variable content marketing.
• Project management
An employee in this position must complete all appropriate background checks at the time of hire, promotion, or transfer.