North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University
Vice Provost for Strategic Planning and Institutional Effectiveness
Academic Career & Executive Search is pleased to assist North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University (N.C. A&T) in their search for a Vice Provost for Strategic Planning and Institutional Effectiveness (OSPIE).
For best consideration, applications need to be received by October 21, 2020
North Carolina A&T State University seeks a proactive, solutions-oriented strategic thinker and data storyteller to serve as its next Vice Provost for Strategic Planning and Institutional Effectiveness. This high profile and critical role requires a collaborative leader with strong knowledge and success in strategic planning, data analytics and methodologies, assessment and accreditation.
This highly visible position is a key member of the Provost’s leadership team, works with diverse teams across campus and has direct involvement in the strategic direction of the University. This position is ideal for a leader who desires the opportunity to impact change and have a significant impact on an entire university through the strategies and programs they implement and lead.
This is an ideal time to join a growing and successful institution experiencing continued growth, increased retention and enrollment. The University enrolls over 12,000 students and employs over 2,000 employees.
The position serves as principal liaison to the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges and ensures that accreditation requirements are incorporated into the planning and evaluation process of the institution and that all new programs are consistent with SACSCOC guidelines.
The Office of Strategic Planning and Institutional Effectiveness is also responsible for supporting the academic planning process for developing, revising, consolidating or discontinuing academic programs. The office supports the space planning function of the university and analyzes space and population projections to ensure the strategic use of existing facilities and offer guidance for development of new facilities.
The Vice Provost for Strategic Planning and Institutional Effectiveness manages two critical roles: (a) strategic planning and (b) institutional effectiveness. Areas of direct responsibility and oversight include:
- University planning and assessment
- Student learning quality enhancement planning
- Working with vice chancellors, deans, department chairs and program coordinators to ensure comprehensive, university-wide planning, assessment and evaluation of student learning outcomes and program goals
- The Vice Provost for Strategic Planning and Institutional Effectiveness provides visionary and effective leadership as well as reliable, complete and understandable data and information to inform decision-making.
Primary Function of Organizational Unit:
The primary function of this organizational unit is to support the institution’s mission.
North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University advances knowledge through scholarly exchange and transforms society with exceptional teaching, learning, discovery and community engagement. An 1890 land-grant doctoral research institution with a distinction in STEM and commitment to excellence in all disciplines, North Carolina A&T creates innovative solutions that address the challenges and economic needs of North Carolina, the nation and the world.
- Earned doctorate degree from an accredited university
- Minimum 10 years of higher education work experience related to assessment, evaluation, program development
- Strategic planning or other higher education administration (e.g., department chair associate/assistant dean, dean, vice provost, provost, etc.) after earning doctoral degree
- Demonstrated experience in leadership and problem solving in complex organizations
- Evidence of knowledge and capabilities in higher education policy
- Understanding of diversity, equity and inclusion associated with national and regional accreditation
- Demonstrated skills to manage interdisciplinary teams efficiently and effectively
- Earned doctorate for at least 10 years
- Successful experience (10 or more years) in supervision of diverse staff
- Experience with higher education assessment, evaluation and accreditation
- Experience with budget procedures and practices
- Experience working in or with colleges and universities (at least Carnegie R-2 level preferred)
- Understanding of contemporary issues faced by academic institutions related to student learning outcomes assessment and accountability expected for accreditation
Located in Greensboro, North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University (N.C. A&T) is one of 17 institutions of The University of North Carolina (UNC) System and is an 1890 land-grant doctoral research institution with a distinction in STEM education. The university is committed to fulfilling its fundamental purposes through exemplary undergraduate and graduate education, scholarly and creative research, and effective community engagement. N.C. A&T is ranked third in research funding in the UNC System, behind UNC-Chapel Hill and NC State University since 2005.
Dr. Harold L. Martin Sr., an N.C. A&T alumnus has served as Chancellor since 2009. The North Carolina A&T Aggies compete in Division I of the NCAA and have been a member of the Mid-Eastern Atlantic Conference since 1969.
The university is comprised of the College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences; College of Business and Economics, College of Education; College of Engineering; College of Health and Human Sciences, College of Science and Technology, and the Joint School of Nanoscience and Nanoengineering, which is in collaboration with The University of North Carolina at Greensboro. The University offers 55 undergraduate degrees, 29 master’s degrees and 9 PhD programs.
Offering a 16.1% lower cost of living than the national average, Greensboro a city of 284,000, is a thriving, civic-minded city with something for everyone: shopping, restaurants, Symphony Orchestra, Community Theater, Opera Company, Civic Ballet, galleries, golf courses and many outstanding public and private recreation areas and facilities including more than 90 miles of trails for hiking, biking and walking. It was voted a Top 10 Green City by Livability.com.
Greensboro is situated in the Piedmont Triad, an area of great natural beauty, diverse industry, cultural arts, and mild temperatures. North Carolina’s mountain resorts are an easy two-hour drive from Greensboro and the beaches of North and South Carolina are three to four hours away. The Research Triangle is about an hour and a half away. More information is available at: http://www.piedmonttriadnc.com/.
For best consideration, applications need to be received by October 21, 2020
Applications will be reviewed as they are received and should include a cover letter and CV. Please do not email applications. Review of applications will begin immediately and may made through the following link: https://acesrch.applicantstack.com/x/detail/a21esjy8d2xw
Inquiries, referrals and nominations are treated confidentially and can be sent to:
Managing Partner and Senior Search Consultant
Academic Career & Executive Search
North Carolina A&T State University is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. No one who applies or seeks employment will be denied admission to or employment at North Carolina A&T State University on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, disabling condition, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information or sexual orientation and sexual identity.
Applicants seeking Veteran’s Preference must attach a DD 214 form. Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty during the application process.