Search for University Jobs in Senior Administration
Director, Business Services (4631U), Berkeley Law - 35049
University of California, Berkeley
Director, Business Services (4631U), Berkeley Law - 35049
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles, our Principles of Community, and our Strategic Plan.
UC Berkeley's School of Law is one of the nation's great centers for legal education, ever exploring and pushing new intellectual boundaries while tackling urgent, real-world issues. The law school is also known for its vibrant and engaged community of students and scholars who are committed to providing leadership and making a difference on problems of local, national and global import. Currently ranked among the top law schools in the country, the School of Law has ambitious development goals as it looks to continue producing leaders in law, government, and society.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: May 20, 2022.
- Supervises and directs the Business Services team at Berkeley Law with responsibility for quality and quantity of work.
- Responsible for the selection, employment, training, performance management and evaluation, motivation, counseling, and discipline of assigned employees.
- Responsible for the growth and development of the Business Services Unit.
- Coaches individuals on skill and career developments.
- Recommends and/or supports training and professional development opportunities for staff.
- Applies professional financial and accounting concepts to also independently perform analyses of moderately complex financial services such as researching discrepancies and tax implications and compliance with external regulations and internal policies.
- Assumes responsibility for quality and quantity of work.
- Distributes and sets up work; monitors the progress of the team.
- Ensures delivery of quality customer service to various constituencies.
- Oversees the transactional support in Business Services for Berkeley Law customers.
- Provides advice, answers questions, and researches issues with main campus contacts to swiftly resolve emergent situations.
- Executes transactions to support Berkeley Law customers when appropriate.
- Recommends hiring of new employees, transfers, promotions, salary actions, terminations, performance management and budget recommendations.
- Maintains relationship with appropriate central campus offices, including but not limited to regional service partners, supply chain partners, accounts payable partners.
- Selects, develops, and evaluates personnel to ensure the effective and efficient operation of the team.
- Provides training and instruction for specific transactions when required.
- Participates in the development and monitoring of UC policies and procedures for financial management, procurement, reimbursements, travel and entertainment.
- Supervises the maintenance of one or more accounting/financial systems.
- Ensures the accuracy, control and reporting of financial data.
- Reviews, processes, and approves financial data and transactions.
- Supports Berkeley Law's Finance team by gathering data and providing reports related to historical transactions.
- Oversees and assists with the production and dissemination of standardized monthly financial reports to unit managers.
- Answers requests for purchasing and revenue data from Berkeley Law clients and the Finance team.
- Meets all government reporting and auditing requirements for related financial activities.
- Researches, reconciles and resolves data discrepancies.
- Functions as a resource on issues such as researching complex financial discrepancies, escalated customer service problems and vendor concerns.
- Reviews Faculty Budget data for confirmation of fund availability upon request.
- Assists with other analysis projects upon request.
- Ensures adherence to cash and payment handling policies and procedures as needed.
- Working knowledge of financial transactions and financial systems, as well as related policy, accounting and regulatory compliance requirements.
- Ability to interpret policies and develop procedures to ensure compliance.
- Ability to provide direction and motivation to others through clear communication, coaching, and modeling behavior.
- Strong written, oral and interpersonal communication skills, including political acumen, to build and maintain effective working relationship at all levels of the organization.
- Must be proficient in use of Microsoft Office, Google Suite, videoconferencing platforms and common desktop/web applications.
- Ability to learn new computer programs and software systems.
- Strong inter-personal skills, service orientation, ability to multi-task effectively in a varied, high volume environment.
- Verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent analytical and critical thinking skills, including skill in creative and effective decision-making and problem identification/avoidance/resolution.
- Strong judgment and decision-making ability.
- Organizational skills and ability to prioritize work for self and others to meet deadlines.
- Skills to organize work to achieve timely progress on multiple projects, distribute effort among the projects, meet deadlines, and maintain a high level of productivity.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Demonstrated commitment to and understanding of diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging, and ability to apply and integrate core concepts of DEIB into everyday practice.
- Must be committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included.
- Must demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Business, Finance, a related field, or equivalent experience and training.
- Expertise in and/or ability to learn University of California business and finance policies.
- Previous experience as a supervisor.
Salary & Benefits
- This is a full-time (40 hours/week), career position, eligible for full UC benefits.
- This is an exempt, monthly paid position. The annual salary is commensurate with experience within the range of $98,000.00 - $113,600.00.
- For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit: https://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/index.html
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying. Please upload the document in the Resume section, then skip the (optional) Cover Letter upload section.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=35049&PostingSeq=1
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |