Search for University Jobs in Senior Administration
Chief Development Officer, Development and Alumni Relations (0466U), Haas School of Business - 5545
University of California Berkeley
The Chief Development Officer (CDO) reports directly to the Dean of Berkeley Haas with dotted line report to the Associate Vice Chancellor of Constituents Programs in UC Berkeley's University Development and Alumni Relations (UDAR). The CDO is a member of the Dean's management team and provides innovative leadership and strategic vision to all aspects of the School's development and alumni relations efforts. The CDO will develop and refine the overall strategy and fundraising priorities for development at Haas and, in conjunction with UDAR colleagues, guide school leadership toward the successful public launch of the campaign. The CDO leads and sets the strategic direction for the Development and Alumni Relations (DAR) Office made up of a staff of 34 across areas of major gifts, annual giving, alumni relations, and advancement services. Working with the dean, the CDO is responsible for the creation and implementation of a comprehensive, strategic advancement program in all areas of fund-raising, alumni relations, donor cultivation, and in other outreach activities. The CDO is also responsible for securing major gifts aimed at meeting the strategic goals of the School's leadership, its programs, disciplines and the University, with an expectation of raising a minimum of $2M annually. The CDO works closely with the Dean in the management of the 45-member Haas Advisory Board.
- Leads and sets the strategic direction for the Development and Alumni Relations (DAR) Office made up of a staff across areas of major gifts, annual giving, alumni relations, and advancement services.
- Manages a large and complex fundraising program with a complex constituencies and programs, typically through a large professional staff, including non-fundraising professionals (for example, editors, information systems, public relations staff) as well as related administrative support staff.
- Works with the individual directors to set their goals and implement their strategies.
- Selects, trains, mentors, guides, directs and evaluates staff, and, as required, takes corrective action.
- Manages the full range of development programs and may also manage other external relations functions.
- Responsible for the creation and implementation of a comprehensive, strategic advancement program in all areas of fund-raising, alumni relations, donor cultivation, and in other outreach activities.
- Directs, implements and evaluates long and short-range strategic planning.
- Conceives, creates, develops, implements, evaluates and manages fundraising programs and strategies to meet predetermined goals and objectives.
- In conjunction with the dean and other academic and administrative leaders, develop clear, compelling messages that describe the strengths and aspirations of Haas and its leadership, and disseminate that information in a way that excites the community about key initiatives and future direction.
- Increase the involvement of faculty members in all aspects of the development program.
- Strengthen their commitment to and understanding of the campaign, and promote their active participation in the fundraising process.
- Analyzes needs and creates strategic and long-range plans for fundraising and other advancement programs and may have the authority to make commitments and precedent-setting decisions regarding program design, development, and procedures.
- Direct and manage the activity and development of the Haas Advisory Board and the Dean's Advisory Circle.
- Work with the Dean in the management of the Haas Advisory Board.
- Leverage the loyalty and commitment of board members as well as other key supporters in order to identify and cultivate individuals who can become participants in the life of the school and provide financial support at leadership levels.
- Responsible for securing major gifts aimed at meeting the strategic goals of the School's leadership, its programs, disciplines and the University, with an expectation of raising a minimum of $2M annually
- Manages the identification, cultivation and solicitation of donors and donor prospects.
- Manage a portfolio of major gift donor prospects that include the most influential, complex or highest rated donors, typically with the capacity to give $1 M or more.
- Qualify major gift prospects and solicit gifts directly.
- Ensure that predetermined fundraising goals are met.
- Develops, creates, writes, implements, and/or evaluates individualized marketing plans and/or strategies for cultivation and solicitation of major gifts, gift planning, or corporate/foundation prospects (strategies typically require a high degree of innovation).
- Presents formal fundraising proposals to major donors and prospects or prepares senior management to present proposals.
- Work on special programs as assigned.
- Attend classes which will enhance expertise in job areas.
- Serve on departmental and campus-wide committees as appropriate.
- Participate in activities that enhance the campus community and/or larger community to further University service.
- Maintain knowledge of the Development & Alumni Relations unit business processes in order to provide back up to other support staff in the unit.
- Advanced knowledge of all aspects of fundraising, donor and public relations, including principles, concepts, techniques and procedures.
- Advanced knowledge of design and implementation of identification, cultivation and solicitation strategies and techniques.
- Advanced skills to conceive, design, implement and evaluate effective fundraising programs.
- Advanced knowledge of leadership and management principles, concepts, techniques, et cetera.
- Advanced knowledge of the campus, its achievements, vision, mission, goals, objectives and issues of concern both on campus as well as in higher education.
- Advanced leadership/management skills, including skills to select, training, mentor, motivate and evaluate all levels of staff.
- Advanced written, oral and interpersonal communication skills to establish and maintain effective working relationship within all organizational levels and with outside constituencies.
- Advanced skills to meet predetermined goals and objectives, including securing gifts and meeting fundraising objectives.
- Advanced political acumen skills.
- Advanced strategic planning, critical thinking, analytical and persuasion/negotiation skills.
- Advanced marketing skills.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
Salary & Benefits
This is an exempt, monthly paid position. Annual salary is commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit: http://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/index.html
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=5545&PostingSeq=1
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |