New Jersey Institute of Technology
Title: Associate Provost for Online Programs
Department: Office of the Provost
Reports To: Provost & Senior Executive Vice President and (dotted line) to Senior Vice
Provost for Academic Affairs & Student Services
NJIT Global encompasses the development and offering of online degrees and programs to the national and international markets as well as the establishment of partnerships with international institutions to offer face-to-face NJIT programs abroad. Reporting to the Provost and Senior Executive Vice President and with a dotted line to the Senior Vice Provost for Academic Affairs & Student Services as well as the Associate Provost and CIO, the Associate Provost for Online Programs position is responsible for collaborating closely with partners across campus to offer innovative and flexible degrees and programs as part of NJIT Global.
The goal of NJIT Global is to provide students who are not on its main Newark campus, with innovative educational experiences and enhance the university’s reputation, visibility, and reach while providing new sources of revenue to further strengthen the institution and its mission. Acting in a centralized support role related to online program offerings, the Associate Provost for Online Programs will coordinate and oversee the administrative functions and responsibilities associated with NJIT’s Global activities related to online program development and offerings. This includes supervising staff who are dedicated to supporting NJIT’s online programs and students.
The Associate Provost for Online Programs is one of the main driving forces of NJIT Global and will work closely in partnership with the Provost, Deans, Senior Vice Provosts, Vice Provosts, faculty, and other administrators to drive the development of digital learning initiatives at NJIT. The Associate Provost for Online Programs is also expected to have detailed knowledge of high-touch digital marketing, recruitment, and retention strategies; be familiar with the courses and programs that are offered online; understand best practice for online course design; have experience developing and implementing academic policies; and use analytics to drive decision making. In addition, the position requires managerial and project management skills, forecasting, planning and systems’ development, strong interpersonal communication skills, organizational awareness, and pivoting priorities.
1. Take responsibility for the leadership of, and administrative oversight for, all credit-bearing online programs, coordinating all relevant aspects (i.e. admissions, marketing and recruitment, digital course design, enrollment management, and digital student experience).
2. Supervise personnel assigned to the Office of the Associate Provost for Online Programs.
3. Ensure the university is offering high quality, student-centered online degree and credit-bearing certificate programs delivered using innovative technologies and pedagogies.
4. Drive the development of credit-bearing online programs at NJIT and grow the portfolio of such offerings, their delivery, and the infrastructure and processes to support their success.
5. Ensure that courses offered through the online programs component of NJIT Global are student centered, contain regular and substantive interaction, and meet all standards.
6. Co-Lead with the Executive Director of Global Initiatives a steering committee, made up of representatives from the academic colleges/schools and administrative offices, who will develop a strategic vision in support of NJIT Global.
7. Work with key stakeholders to develop and implement policies and procedures for online programs offered through NJIT Global.
8. Oversee marketing and coordinate with communication teams to develop marketing campaigns and prepare program recruitment and branding materials.
9. Work with deans, chairs, and faculty to develop yearly curricular plans, budgets, and course carousels for all online programs.
10. Oversee and manage the budget for online programs component of NJIT Global, including providing budget status updates and recommendations on a regular basis.
11. Use analytics to prepare enrollment reports, create enrollment projections, establish predictable course scheduling, and make timely decisions.
12. Ensure the emplacement of smooth and efficient processes related to recruitment, admissions, registration, billing, and advisement services that result in positive, worthwhile online student experiences.
1. Keep current with emerging technologies, pedagogies, and best practices related to digital learning and online programs.
2. Remain familiar with regional and national restrictions, ensuring institutional compliance.
3. Manage partnerships with outside vendors.
4. Perform other relevant duties as assigned.
Successful performance of this position demands consistent demonstration of the following uncompromised performance characteristics.
1. Accomplishment Aptitude: Establishes and follows through on a systematic course of action for self or others to assure accomplishment of a specific objective. Determines priorities and allocates time and resources effectively producing desired results at the level expected for the position.
2. Achievement/Goal Orientation: Demonstrates a concern and aptitude for achieving or surpassing results against an internal or external standard of excellence, showing passion for improving the delivery of services with a commitment to continuous improvement.
3. Adapting to Change: Responds to change with a positive attitude and a willingness to learn new technologies and new ways to accomplish work activities and objectives.
4. Analytical Thinking/Problem Solving: Demonstrates a mature logic, analytic aptitude and creativity in the approach to issues demanding resolution, by drawing on own expertise and experience base while utilizing other references and resources as necessary. Demonstrates deductive reasoning skills in diagnosing and solving software and hardware problems.
5. Communication: Demonstrates the ability to clearly express ideas, thoughts, and concepts verbally and/or in writing, as appropriate to the position and task at hand.
6. Continuous Improvement: Continually seeks and achieves incremental improvements in work processes, results and capabilities.
7. Creativity/Innovation: Generates novel and valuable ideas and uses these ideas to develop new or improved processes, methods, systems, or services.
8. Customer Focus: Focuses one’s efforts on identifying and meeting internal and external customer’s needs in a manner that provides satisfaction for the customer, within the parameters of the position and the available resources, cognizant of departmental and /or university policy and authorized practices.
9. Honesty and Integrity: Acts in accordance with all university and departmental policies, procedures and expectations.
10. Initiative: Evaluates, selects and acts on various methods and strategies for solving problems and meeting objectives within parameters of position before being asked or required to do so; self-directed rather than passively complying with instructions or assignments.
11. Teamwork/Team Orientation: Willingly cooperates and works collaboratively toward solutions which generally benefit all involved parties; works cooperatively with others to accomplish departmental and university objectives.
12. Professionalism: Conducts oneself at all times in an ambassadorial, committed and personable manner demonstrating respect for the position, fellow colleagues, departmental integrity and the university’s best interests. This position works closely with faculty, students, members of other departments, as well as outside vendors. Therefore, this incumbent must present him/herself in professional demeanor at all times.
13. Technical Proficiency: Demonstrated technical expertise in a wide range of teaching, learning, and other technologies used in an educational environment.
* Master degree in Education, Higher Education Administration, Instructional Design, or a related discipline
* Minimum of ten years of higher education work experience supporting online programs (both credit and not credit)
* Regulatory knowledge relevant to all potential domestic and international matriculants.
* Demonstrated ability as a strategic and innovative thinker, and as a creative and energetic leader
* Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
* Interest in pedagogy
* Experience with digital marketing, recruitment, and retention in higher education
* Strong, demonstrative skills in problem-solving, critical-thinking, and use of sound business judgement
* Demonstrated ability to take initiative, work independently, plan and prioritize work, make decisions and respond appropriately to pressure, deadlines, and changes in priorities
* Proven experience with national and international regulations as they relate to national and international academic offerings
* At the university’s discretion, the education and experience prerequisites may be excepted where the candidate can demonstrate to the satisfaction of the university, an equivalent combination of education and experience specifically preparing the candidate for success.
* PhD in a related discipline
* Experience with online program management (OPM) partnerships
* Experience supporting non-credit offerings
* Experience with customer relationship management (CRM) platforms
* Experience designing, developing, and teaching online courses
* Experience offering online programs outside of the United States
* Interpersonal and collaboration skills
To apply, please visit: https://njit.csod.com/ats/careersite/JobDetails.aspx?site=1&id=2770
As an EEO employer NJIT is committed to building a diverse and inclusive teaching, research, and working environment and strongly encourages applications from individuals with disabilities, minorities, veterans, and women.
Diversity is a core value of NJIT and we are committed to make diversity, equity and inclusion, part of everything we do. We celebrate the diversity of our university community and recognize the cultural and personal differences. We strive to cultivate an inclusive campus culture that promotes excellence among our faculty, staff and students. Building a robust and diverse community is critical to NJIT’s continuing status as a premier institution of higher education and a leading polytechnic university.