Search for University Jobs in Senior Administration
Manager of Media Relations
Stevens Institute of Technology
Founded in 1870 and located in Hoboken, New Jersey, Stevens Institute of Technology is a university on the rise. Guided by the university’s 10-year strategic plan and its commitment to student success and a technology-centric academic environment, Stevens has grown in enrollment, research impact, and stature. A https://www.stevens.edu/sites/stevens_edu/files/files/PresidentsOffice/Stev… of Stevens’ progress may be viewed here.
Stevens invites applications for the position of Manager of Media Relations to advance its reputation and impact through earned media. The successful candidate will be an experienced media relations professional who has demonstrated the ability to secure media coverage in print, broadcast, and digital media at the national and regional levels and in industry and trade media.
Reporting to the Director of Public Relations, the Manager of Media Relations will work with university leaders, communications professionals across campus, and colleagues from the Division of University Relations to advance Stevens’ reputation through high-profile earned media coverage.
This role maintains regular contact with national, local, and trade media to secure stories about the university, students’ experiences and outcomes, research innovations, and faculty thought leadership, including in the areas of artificial intelligence, cybersecurity, quantum communications, biomedical engineering, financial technology, and the value of a technology-infused education.
The Manager of Media Relations will:
- Maintain and enhance relationships with members of national, regional, and higher education media;
- Manage a database of faculty and staff members who can speak as experts for local and national news stories and trends;
- Stay ahead of current events, higher education news, and trends to identify potential media opportunities for the university that result in earned media;
- Work closely with faculty, staff and students to proactively elicit story ideas and prepare them for media opportunities;
- Develop, write and pitch story ideas to journalists;
- Manage and prioritize incoming media inquiries, identify appropriate experts, arrange interviews, escort media and/or grant approval for media to come onto campus, and monitor resulting media coverage;
- Manage all incoming campus press inquiries for student journalists to ensure a coordinated response across the institution;
- Conduct necessary research and fact-checking for use in media coordination, photo shoots, event coverage and talking points;
- Track, analyze and prepare reports on media coverage;
- Fully leverage Meltwater to target select reporters, conduct background research, disseminate releases, track press coverage, and facilitate analytics and reporting;
- Participate in the development of media relations strategy and tactics;
- Write briefings and conduct media training for faculty, staff, students and administration;
- Cultivate and foster relationships with media to pitch stories and arrange interviews with experts;
- Manage multiple ongoing media requests and respond quickly to incoming inquiries from reporters;
- Collaborate closely with content managers, social media managers, visual storytellers, and key stakeholders across campus to identify experts who can address emerging issues in the news;
- Proactively mine for original content to uncover compelling and differentiating stories within the university;
- Proactively conduct outreach and serve as the contact to journalists, news outlets, and digital media resources;
- Update the university’s online news pages and events;
- Assist in emergency situations that may require communications support
- At least five years of experience in media relations with a demonstrated ability to secure media coverage in print, broadcast and other platforms
- Degree in journalism, communications, English, public relations or a related field
- Experience with technology, science, and research topics is highly desirable
- Experience in higher education is strongly preferred; experience in science and technology media relations in an agency, government, consumer, or non-profit sectors
- Strong network of media contacts including regional and national reporters desired
- Familiarity with PR management software such as Meltwater
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Excellent research, proofreading and editing skills; proficient knowledge of Associated Press style
- Excellent news judgment; strong planning and organizational skills
- Energetic, results-oriented team player; ability to move quickly, take initiative, multi-task, and work cross-functionally
- Submission of writing samples
Communications & Marketing
General Submission Guidelines:
In order to be considered a candidate for any job at Stevens, you must submit an online application. Please attach a cover letter and resume with each application. Other requirements for consideration may depend on the job.
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |