At Northern Illinois University Foundation, our vision is to develop, support and encourage a culture of giving throughout the NIU community that will allow it to flourish and accomplish NIU’s goal of becoming the most student-centered public research university in the Midwest.
The Assistant Director for Constituent Groups will further the Foundation’s mission of creating life-changing opportunities for our hardworking, dedicated students and faculty through connecting and engaging with our university and alumni community through constituency group planning and facilitation. As an energetic collaborator, this position will support the efforts of the Foundation’s alumni engagement team to enhance the volunteer experience and strengthen the volunteer pipeline.
The ideal candidate is self-motivated and adaptable, and demonstrates an ability to perform in a fast-paced and dynamic environment, with an eye toward program analysis and improvement.
The Assistant Director will plan and execute events in partnership with the NIU Foundation events teams; manage all aspects of the meeting planning and record-keeping; plan and coordinate volunteer recruitment, training, retention and stewardship; manage internal and external communication and promotion; coordinate annual planning, data collection and analysis, and assessment efforts; and manage constituent group budgets.
This position requires the ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines at once. Analysis of program success and a dedication to data integrity and management are required for success in this role. Strong communication skills are needed as this position will act as a key liaison to volunteers and campus partners to ensure collaboration where appropriate. As needed, the Assistant Director will collaborate with advancement officers and Northern Fund (annual fund) staff to leverage volunteer engagement as a strategic tool for donor cultivation.
An ability to use discretion in handling sensitive donor and constituent data is required. Evening and weekend hours and some local and regional travel will be required.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
30% Event and Meeting Planning and Execution
- Collaborate with NIU Foundation events team to plan and execute events by identifying desired locations, timeframes, collateral, and event materials.
- Coordinate meeting planning, agenda creation, meeting flow and record-keeping for each constituent group.
- Attend events and meetings to engage with constituent group leaders and members.
- Liaise between campus departments and constituent groups to build and maintain strong relationships between campus partners, the NIU Foundation, and members of constituent groups.
- Collaborate with advancement officers and Northern Fund staff to support philanthropic efforts of constituent groups.
25% – Volunteer Recruitment, Training, Retention
- Identify and cultivate current and future volunteer leaders through the analysis of engagement data, collaboration with constituent groups leaders, individual meetings, campus partner engagement, and attending engagement activities.
- Create and implement ongoing and individualized training for constituent group members and leaders.
20% – Communication and Promotion
- Collaborate with NIU Foundation staff to send regular updates to constituent group leaders.
- Coordinate with NIU Foundation communications team to plan and create strategic communications including, but not limited to, email, text and mail campaigns from constituent groups leaders to their constituency.
- Collaborate with NIU Foundations communications team to support constituent group social media efforts, graphic design requests, and event promotion efforts.
20% – Annual Planning, Data Collection and Analysis, Assessment, and Budget Management
- Facilitate completion of annual proposal or planning process submitted by each constituent group.
- Plan annual constituent group leader social and meetings.
- Plan and manage annual volunteer recognition efforts for constituent groups.
- Collect, submit, and analyze constituent group data to assist with annual reporting as well as strategic decision-making related to efficacy of programming.
- Assess volunteer experience and make continual improvements.
- Track and manage constituent group budgets.
- Create registration and survey instruments through digital volunteer management and assessment tools.
5% – Other Duties as Assigned
- Assist with additional volunteer activities and events.
- Manage and/or coordinate the work assignments of student workers and staff when working on projects related to position.
- Perform other duties as assigned.