Search for University Jobs in Senior Administration
Deputy Director of Cal Student Central (4579U) 44268
University of California, Berkeley
Deputy Director of Cal Student Central (4579U) 44268
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles, our Principles of Community, and our Strategic Plan.
At UC Berkeley, we believe that learning is a fundamental part of working, and our goal is for everyone on the Berkeley campus to feel supported and equipped to realize their full potential. We actively support this by providing all of our staff employees with at least 80 hours (10 days) of paid time per year to engage in professional development activities. To find out more about how you can grow your career at UC Berkeley, visit grow.berkeley.edu.
The mission of Cal Student Central (CSC) is to make a positive difference in students' lives. A component of a Cal student's experience on campus is ensuring the smooth and effective administrative management of their experience. Proper information on matriculation and other administrative procedures ensure Cal students have the information, records and finances they need to succeed.
To that end, Cal Student Central (CSC) provides students with one central location where they can get accurate and timely answers to their questions about enrollment, registration, financial aid, billing and payments, and other related services that are now offered in different departments and in different locations across campus.
This position supports the daily operations of Cal Student Central and provides leadership in the cross function service areas of enrollment, student records, financial aid, and billing and payment services to all University constituents including students, parents, staff, faculty, and community members. This position has a significant focus on supervision and staff professional development, as well as project management and communications. This position is responsible for supervising staff, which could include Student Services Advisors and a Communication Specialist.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: October 31, 2022
Management and Supervision
- Responsible for the direct supervision of 3-4 professional staff, including hiring, performance appraisals, delegation of work assigned, and ongoing coaching/professional development.
- Continually self-assess to ensure in-depth knowledge and technical expertise of several subject areas including (but not limited to): registration, student records, financial aid, and student billing.
- Ensure adequate coverage in daily operations that include in person, phones, virtual front desk, callback queues, Salesforce cases, and other processing.
- Demonstrate and promote a high level of customer service.
- Provide guidance and direction to Student Service Advisors on complex and sensitive issues.
- Creates and maintains training materials, policies and procedures documents, temples, protocols, etc.
- Monitors employee performance and provides direction and assistance. Provides input to Director on Performance Management issues.
- Provides training to other staff and other campus departments on issues addressed by the Cal Student Central and on customer service standards and approaches.
- Serves as backup to the Director as needed.
- Serves as a liaison to vendors or other campus partners as appropriate.
CSC Office Management
- Analyze existing processes and procedures for efficiency and effectiveness and recommend changes to improve processes and procedures and work with team members to implement recommended changes.
- Research policies in the areas of registration, financial aid and records for best resolution and provide in depth, comprehensive guidance on solutions.
- Work collaboratively with the Director and other Assistant Directors to monitor and manage the check-in system, the case ticketing system, and the phone system.
- Understand and communicate to students appropriate business processes related to registration.
- Manage or refer students appropriately to services outside the immediate office and facilitate referral to academic advising, health services, student groups, Graduate Division, and Admissions.
- Asses and determines when it is appropriate to escalate issues to specialized departmental staff.
- Incorporates critical campus registration processes and information and/or major policy changes into the CSC workflow.
Data Collection, Reporting, and Forecasting
- Leverage current systems (QLESS, Salesforce, etc) to better serve students and find new ways to be more efficient in our work.
- Develop performance metrics, define measures of quantitative assessment, and compare/ track performance metrics on an ongoing basis.
- Assist in the collection and analysis of customer service data.
- Assist in the creation and implementation of benchmarks and keep track of departmental progress.
- Experience in university setting with in depth knowledge of all the functional areas handled by a student registration department including but not limited to financial aid, records and registration.
- Interpersonal skills. Multicultural competencies; ability to work with diverse populations.
- Strong communication skills to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Demonstrated aptitude for learning new technology
- Skills in judgment and decision-making, problem solving, identifying measures of system performance and the actions to improve performance.
- Skills to analyze and research information and learn to synthesize data with strong attention to detail.
Salary & Benefits
Salary is commensurate with experience. Hiring range is up to $93,100/annually. For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment in the Resume section of your application.
Referral Source info
This job is part of the Employee Referral Program. If a UC Berkeley employee is referring you, please ensure you select the Referral Source of "UCB Employee" and then enter the employee's Name and Berkeley email address in the Specific Referral Source field. Please enter only one name and email.
Please include, as part of your application a brief (1-2 paragraph) statement on your contributions to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging in your professional experience.
Advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion are fundamental to our UC Berkeley Principles of Community, which states that "every member of the UC Berkeley community has a role in sustaining a safe, caring, and humane environment in which these values can thrive."
- This is a career, 100% full-time, 40-hours per week appointment, eligible for full UC benefits.
- This is a remote-friendly position, eligible for 20% remote capability.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=44268&PostingSeq=1
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |