Search for University Jobs in Senior Administration
Director of Residence Life
Located in the heart of Boston, Simmons University embodies the benefits of a small university in the nation's best college town. Simmons has a cherished history of visionary thinking and social responsibility and a mission that has remained constant for over a century: to provide transformative learning that links passion with lifelong purpose.
Today, Simmons serves nearly 2,000 students in a women-centered undergraduate program and nearly 5,000 students in coeducational graduate programs. Simmons recently embarked on an academic redesign to create four interdisciplinary colleges. Given the richness and complexity of its offerings, Simmons obtained formal approval and became Simmons University effective September 1, 2018.
Simmons University is looking for a Director of Residence Life (Director) to join the Student Affairs department. Reporting to the Assistant Dean of First Year Programs, the Director will provide leadership, management, and strategic direction for the entirety of the student and campus life housing portfolio. Supporting over 1,000 students across nine residence halls, the Director will play a critical role in building and maintaining a comfortable, welcoming, and inclusive community that fosters engagement and person development for residents. The Director will lead a central office staff, professional live-in staff, graduate assistants and undergraduate Resident Assistants in delivering a robust residential student educational program.
Leadership and Management
- Develop, implement and cultivate a residence life philosophy that fosters a community and provides students with opportunities for collaborative leadership development, personal development, academic support and success as well as fun;
- Direct, plan, and provide strategic management for residential programs and housing operations, including the development of relevant policies and procedures;
- Provide leadership and protocols for on-call duty rotation as well as all aspects of and responses to crises and or emergency situations;
- Coordinate with campus partner offices to ensure a holistic and engaging student experience;
- Regularly review and analyze programming, processes and procedures to identify and address areas needing improvement;
- Serve as a member of the Dean of Students' leadership team, as well as other divisional and campus-wide committees;
- Develop, demonstrate, and promote cultural awareness and contribute to cultivating an inclusive, diverse and respectful University community;
- Oversee the development and implementation of all residence hall programming efforts to develop a vibrant and engaged community;
- Stay abreast of and incorporate changing trends and best practices in residence life and the student experience;
- Design and create effective and efficient an occupancy management strategy responding to enrollment projections, negotiating and acquiring additional housing in the local area as needed;
- Identify facility needs and furniture replacement plan;
- Meet regularly with campus partners to maintain a residential campus environment;
- Deliver presentations regarding housing and residence life to prospective students, families, and University departments.
- Lead and manage a team of Residence Life staff;
- Serve in the administrator on-call rotation;
- Oversee the communications and publications from the Office of Residence Life to students and the community;
- Respond to student and parent concerns regarding housing policies and services;
- Prepare and manage the Residence Life budget, performing monthly reconciliations;
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
Required Application Materials
- Bachelor's degree in a related field and 10+ years experience in housing and residence life;
- Master's Degree and 6+ years experience preferred
- Passion for fostering inclusive and vibrant communities that enhance students' academic and personal growth and success;
- Effective communication skills and ability to manage conflict proactively;
- Demonstrated knowledge of housing and residence life functions including budgeting, facility maintenance, room assignments, staff supervision, and professional development, and student conduct;
- Knowledge of the impact of residential educational and community development activities and programs to enhance resident academic success, persistence, and retention;
- Understanding of the principles, practices, and trends in enrollment, student retention, and student engagement preferred;
- Ability to derive data-driven results and provide analytical results;
- Experience planning, promoting, publicizing and executing events and programming;
- Proven ability to manage highly sensitive and confidential information, work independently, and take initiative;
- Knowledge of student conduct, adjudication, and skill at developing and conducting in-service training for professional and RA staff.
Instructions to Applicants
: Please upload all
applicable application materials (e.g. resume/cv, cover letter, writing sample, teaching philosophy, etc.) in the "Resume/CV" box on page 2 ("My Experience") of this application. Documents can be uploaded individually or as a combined document (e.g. PDF).
Simmons University is committed to inclusive excellence in all aspects of an individual's community experience. As a university committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion, Simmons encourages applications from all under-represented groups. Simmons is committed to creating, developing, promoting, and enhancing inclusive hiring practices-at all levels, for all positions-ensuring diverse talent pools and the delivery of a consistent positive candidate experience. Simmons is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to continuing to develop a more diverse faculty, staff, student body, and curriculum.
To apply, visit https://simmons.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Simmons-Careers/job/Residence-Campus---Boston-MA/Director-of-Residence-Life_R05766
Located in Bostons historic Fenway area, Simmons College is a small, private, non-sectarian College which has educated students for enriching careers and purposeful lives since 1899. Working at Simmons means joining a collaborative, diverse and mission-driven community of educators and professionals.
We prepare students to be leaders for themselves, their communities and the world. Our faculty and staff members lead by example - sharing a commitment to excellence and putting the students first.
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |