University Communications is searching for an accomplished media relations professional to serve as associate director of national/international media relations. This full-time position will enhance the university’s global reputation by earning media coverage of UB faculty expertise, research and major initiatives in prominent news media around the world.
This position will be responsible for
- Building relationships with reporters, producers and editors at prominent regional, national and international news outlets by being in regular contact with them and responding to requests on deadline.
- Working with university faculty to position them as quotable sources and thought leaders in daily news stories that would benefit from their expert commentary/analysis.
- Managing the day-to-day operations of University Communications’ broadcast studio and securing live interviews for UB faculty experts with major broadcast news media.
- Working with colleagues in University Communications to pitch and place major stories about impactful university research in prominent news outlets.
- Assisting with the development of multi-media news content to be shared with news media and in university social media platforms.
- Providing media training to university faculty and administrators in preparation for news interviews.
- Measuring earned media placements and assisting in the preparation of reports highlighting these results.
- Contributing as a member of the university’s crisis communications team.
University Communications is responsible for providing strategic leadership for university-wide communications, including internal communications, media relations, issues management, crisis communications, brand management, marketing, digital and social media communications and creative design for the University at Buffalo. The Division is highly visible and its marketing and communications strategies serve to advance the university.
Bachelor’s degree with at least three years of full-time experience, or Master’s degree with one year’s experience as a professional communicator in higher-education, agency, corporate, non-profit or news media settings.
Must have knowledge/skillset in the following areas:
- Developing news content, researching stories, and interviewing subjects.
- Working with members of the national and international news media, with a proven and demonstrable track record of prominent media placements.
- Knowledge of web technologies and analytics and excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work strategically and independently.
Preferred major or concentration: Journalism, English, Communications, or Public Relations.
Social Media experience preferred.
Contact’s Name Nancy Varner
Contact’s Title Business Office Manager
Contact’s Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact’s Phone 716-645-4609