This position is responsible for the NIU Foundation Board of Directors management, serves as corporate secretary for the Foundation Board and its subsidiary entities, and Chief of Staff for the NIU Foundation. The position, reporting to the President & CEO of the NIU Foundation, who also serves as the Vice President for University Advancement, holds a broad portfolio of responsibilities ranging from board administration, legal coordination and compliance to administrative support management and general talent coordination for the growing and increasingly complex division.
Duties and Responsibilities (generally)
To provide senior administrative leadership and strategic program management to the NIU Foundation and Division of University Advancement. This role serves as Corporate Secretary to the NIU Foundation, an elected position, with responsibilities as outlined in the Foundation’s bylaws.
Minimum Required Qualifications for this position
1. Bachelor’s degree.
2. Five (5) years of advanced and complex professional level administrative experience.
3. Five (5) years of experience with advancing competence in a project management.
4. Three (3) years of experience in a fundraising organization.
5. Three (3) years of experience working with detailed financial reporting and investment management concepts.
6. Three (3) years of experience working with nonprofit boards or board-level volunteers(s).
Specialty Factors (Additional Required Qualifications)
Education and Experience Preferred
1. Advanced degree, such as MBA or MPA.
2. Advanced certificates, such as CFRE.
3. JD or Paralegal certification.
4. Knowledge of donor databases is desirable.
List the knowledge, skills, and abilities critical to the performance of this position.
1. Deep, personal commitment to diversity in all forms, the recognition of all individuals to mutual respect, and the acceptance of others without biases. Demonstrable commitment to leading by example, modeling diversity, equity and inclusion throughout the university.
2. Demonstrably strong work ethic and entrepreneurial mentality. A high-level of integrity, focus and commitment to achieve ambitious goals is essential.
3. Exceptional interpersonal skills and a temperament to work effectively with diverse constituents, both internally and externally.
4. Demonstrable commitment to the highest ethical standards of professionalism and conduct, including an impeccable level of maturity and unimpeachable character.
5. This position requires the handling of highly sensitive and confidential information and requires an exemplary track record of professionalism, maturity and discretion.
6. Candidates must possess strong verbal and written communication skills.
7. A track record of success in a fast-paced environment is essential, as are mature judgment, professionalism, initiative and finely tuned problem-solving skills.
8. The successful candidate must be adept at working at several different levels and on many assignments simultaneously.
9. Demonstrated strategic, analytical and critical thinking skills, as well as the ability to synthesize complex documents, information and issues, are also required.