Search for University Jobs in Senior Administration
Director of Athletic Development
Alcorn State University
Alcorn State University seeks a highly motivated, inclusive, and innovative leader for the position of Director of Athletic Development. The Director is a lead administrator for athletic fundraising solicitation. This position is also accountable for 1) ensuring that program goals are met and communicated regularly with the Vice President for Institutional Affairs, Director of Intercollegiate Athletics, key coaches, and ASU Foundation, 2) collaborating with campus advancement officers and internal partners to successfully lead this program, and 3) increasing annually, support for university athletics through soliciations of gifts.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated ability to raise five and six figure gifts
- Demonsrated knowledge of the principles and practices of fundraising desired;
- Proven athletic development experience and excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong knowledge of applicable philanthropy and fundraising laws, rules, regulations, policies, et cetera.
- Strong knowledge of the campus, its achievements, vision, mission, goals, objectives, applicable policies, infrastructure, and curent issues of concern.
- Strong knowledge of management/leadership concepts, principles, and best practices.
- Strong leadership/managment skills to train, mentor, evaluate and motivate colleagues.
- Strong written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills and political acumen to establish and maintain good working relationships within all organizational levels and with outside constituents.
- Strong skills to meet predetermined goals and objectives, including securing gifts and meeting fundraising goals.
- Strong strategic planning skills and skills to conceive, design, implement, evaluate, and manage fundraising programs and strategies.
- Strong analytical, critical thinking, problem-solving skills.
- Strong skills in persuasion/negotiation and strong marketing kills.
- Involvement in professional associations and record of achievement in research or publishing.
- Must be able to travel and work outside the normal university hours.
- Must have the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with coaches, staff, alumni, students, parents, and the public.
- Strong knowledge of all aspects of fundraising, donor, and public relations, including strategies for donor identification, cultivation, and solicitation.
Essential Job Functions
- Manages a comprehensive major gifts fundraising program in IA. Position is responsible for the full range of development programs and has responsibility for other external relations functions, such as events, volunteer coordination and management and other marketing activities.
- Conceives, creates, develops, implements and manages a complex fundraising program that has a critical impact on university athletics, with a diverse group of constituencies and programs and as well as related administrative support staff.
- Identifies new donor prospects through researching background information on potential donors and developing materials, marketing plans, and organizing related programs; events; cultivates, stewards, and may solicit donor prospects.
- Identifies, cultivates, and solicit major gifts for facilities and athletic programs, operations and scholarships from individuals and corporations.
- Trains, mentors, guides, and directs support staff and as required, takes corrective action.
- Designs and implements strategies to successfully meet predetermined goals and objectives and ensures that predetermined goals are met.
- Conducts and participates in long and short-range strategic planning including reviewing, revising, and advising on regional/national portfolios and top donor prospects for the University athletics.
- Manages other external relations functions, such as volunteers, outreach, identification of high-level prospects by sport et. cetera.
- Exercising a high level of independent judgement and leadership, manages a highly complex fundraising program that has a critical impact upon the campus, with complex constituencies and programs that span complex and potentially high-dollar value donors, the entire campus and senior campus leadership.
- Reviews and approves recommendations for operational planning and control that impact individual donor philanthropy across the campus.
- Erroneous decisions will have a serious impact on the overall success of the campus fundraising efforts with its key prospects and can impact multiple specific units or the campus.
- Spend most of the time (50% or more) achieving organizational objectives through external outreach to targeted prospects.
- Establishes departmental goals and objectives, functions with supervised autonomy.
- Manages the accountability and stewardship of human, financial, and offer physical resources in compliance with departmental and campus wide goals and objectives.
- Ensures professional colleagues adhere to defined internal controls.
- Manages systems and procedures to protect departmental assets. May report to a Chair, Organized Research Unit Director, or equivalent administrative management.
- Provides guidance to colleagues to achieve goals in accordance with established policies.
- Reviews and approves recommendations for functional programs.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree required; Master’s Degree preferred.
- A minimum of five to seven years in a related area and/or equivalent experience/training required.
Licensing and Certifications
- Possession and maintenance of a valid Mississippi driver’s license, reliable car for local travel and insurable driving record is required.
- Certified Fund-Raising Manager or Certified Fund Raising Executive preferred.
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |