Search for University Jobs in Senior Administration
Director of Marketing and Communications (34930)
Northern Illinois University
Northern Illinois University (NIU) is a student-centered, nationally recognized public research university with expertise that benefits its region and spans the globe in a wide variety of fields, including the sciences, humanities, arts, business, engineering, education, health and law. Through its main campus in DeKalb, Illinois, and education centers for students and working professionals in Chicago, Naperville, Oregon and Rockford, NIU offers more than 100 areas of study while serving a diverse and international student body.
NIU takes great pride in its historical success at providing an accessible, affordable and high-quality education to talented students from all populations, but especially underserved populations (first in the family to attend college, students of color or students with high financial need). Diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging are defining characteristics of NIU.
About the College of Engineering and Engineering Technology
NIU’s internationally recognized NIU
College of Engineering and Engineering Technology (CEET
) shapes students into engineers ready to change the world. Our fully accredited programs emphasize hands-on experience, and our small classes are taught by experienced, dedicated faculty. We immerse our students in research and problem-solving in a range of fields. Complemented by close partnerships with regional industries, our personalized approach leads to a near-perfect job placement rate after graduation. CEET’s 2021-2026 Strategic Plan
outlines clear goals and opportunities to enhance our students’ experiences and bolster innovation.
CEET seeks a director of Marketing and Communications to create and execute an overall marketing strategy to raise the profile of the college and advance the college’s marketing, communication, education, and service delivery goals. The director will report to the dean and will work closely with the associate vice president of Institutional Communications in the Division of Enrollment Management, Marketing and Communications (EMMC). As part of the university’s integrated marketing and communications effort, the director will work collaboratively with EMMC, NIU Foundation, Student Affairs, and Outreach, Engagement and Regional Development (OERD), to engage prospective and current students, faculty, alumni, donors and other strategic partners. The director also will assist the dean as a liaison with the college’s advisory committees and alumni society.
Successful candidates will be able to work both independently and collaboratively, make data-informed decisions and deliver high-quality strategies and content. On occasion, the role requires some evening and weekend hours. Role will have flexibility in regard to working remotely and on-campus.
The Director of Marketing and Communications will work independently as well as collaboratively, with the Dean to develop, manage, and execute internal and external communications which will raise awareness of, enrollment in, and donations to the College of Engineering and Engineering Technology (CEET) programs and services, while ensuring integration and alignment with the rest of the university marketing and communications.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
External Marketing and Communications (35%)
- Develop and execute a comprehensive marketing and communications strategy to drive enrollment, engagement and revenue generation for CEET by raising the profile of the college and advancing its communication, educational, and service delivery goals.
- Develop compelling messaging, recruitment materials, articles and email campaigns for prospective students and their families to drive student engagement, event attendance, applications and enrollment through the university’s CRM.
- Serve as the primary writer and editor for the CEET, which includes researching and writing stories, selecting and editing stories written by other offices, overseeing layout and editing of publications, providing art direction for the graphic design of publications, and producing and disseminating publications to CEET alumni and other targeted audiences.
- Oversee CEET’s social media channels and blog to foster awareness, engagement and community-building opportunities.
Internal Marketing and Communications (30%)
- Assist the dean with developing an internal communications strategy to engage, inform and celebrate faculty and staff to include but not be limited to creating presentations, monthly newsletter, draft memos etc.
- Identify and collaborate on opportunities to create video and photography content.
- Manage CEET’s website, with support from the NIU Web team, to offer timely, compelling and useful information that reflects the college’s sub-brand and messaging.
- Oversee planning and programming for college-level events as directed by the dean.
Partner and Public Relations (30%)
- Lead, with support from Institutional Communications, the college’s public relations efforts, specifically working with local, regional, national and trade media on a proactive and reactive basis.
- Serve as the liaison to the Engineering and Technology Alumni Society (ETAS), which entails meeting with the 12-member board of directors of the ETAS five to six times per year on Saturday mornings. In this capacity, this individual will advise the board of directors in regards to college and university regulations, share important information with the board of happenings within the college and likewise will share information with the dean about alumni information and board activities. Sends out meeting notices for the ETAS Board of Directors (BOD) meetings. Organize the commencement coin reception held at the college each fall and spring semester inducting new graduates into the college’s alumni society. Assist the dean with nominations for college and NIU Alumni Association awards
- Work in partnership with the college’s advancement officer and the NIU Foundation to support fundraising initiatives and goals through messaging, storytelling and coordinated campaigns.
- Serve as an active member of NIU’s College and Division Communicators fostering ideas and sharing information.
- Assist the dean and university with issues management and crisis communications.
Perform Other Related Duties as Assigned (5%)
Minimum Required Qualifications (Civil Service)
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Communications, or a closely related field.
- At least three years of experience in communications, marketing, or public relations in an academic, corporate, non-profit or agency setting.
- Note: Master’s Degree in an area consistent with the duties of the position may be substituted for one (1) year (12 months) of work experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs) (Civil Service)
- Ability to identify communication goals in the framework of overall marketing and public relations and develop a clearly focused communications strategy to meet those goals.
- Superior customer service skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, enthusiasm, overall energy, and willingness to ‘go the extra mile.’
- Ability to perform well under pressure and to manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to build and maintain business relationships through excellent diplomacy, negotiation, and trust.
- Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Knowledge of recruitment practices.
- Knowledge of social media analytics, social media publishing tools, web analytics, and tracking technologies.
- Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- Knowledge of media production, including social media platforms and efficiency of use, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office, presentation software, spreadsheet software, video creation and editing software, web page creation and editing software, and analytical or scientific software.
- Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems.
- Skill in producing live social media coverage.
- Skill in verbal and written communication.
- Skill in identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Skill in time management, organizing work assignments, and responding quickly and effectively to challenges.
- Ability to develop and execute marketing, and strategic communications plans to effect outcomes.
Specialty Factors (Civil Service)
Preferred Qualifications (Civil Service)
- Master’s degree in Marketing, Communications, or a closely related field.
- At least five years of experience in the field of communications, marketing, or public relations in an academic, corporate, non-profit or agency setting.
- Experience working as the content expert with graphic designers and web developers to create compelling assets for a variety of audiences.
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |