In this position you will provide leadership and coordination to the Facilities Design & Construction unit. The ideal candidate will be a recognized leader, strategic thinker who is highly proficient in balancing technical and business attributes, process minded and driven by continuous improvement and who is a strong communicator. You will work closely with the Director of Facilities Campus Planning and Director of Facilities Operations to develop standards and requirements that preserve and advance the physical environment in support of the University at Buffalo’s goals (education, student experience, research and community service).
In this role, you will be responsible for:
- All aspects of the University’s construction projects (new and rehabs);
- Establishing project priorities;
- Coordinating and developing justifications, specifications, project scopes, schedules and cost estimates;
- Actively monitoring progress of projects relating to scope, schedule, quality and budget;
- Organizing campus participation during design, construction, commissioning, turn-over and occupancy;
- Ensuring project compliance with state procedures, public works laws, building and energy codes, and UB’s requirements and procedures;
- Set expectations for design excellence in all projects;
- Developing and implementing strategies, policies and procedures to support University Facilities’ short, mid and long-term goals.
- Setting the department expectations and leading the charge to develop a culture of teamwork, accountability, professionalism, diversity and inclusion and strive for best practices in all tasks;
- Driving excellent customer service and promoting safety in the workplace.
- Promoting safety and environmental stewardship through project design choices and adherence to regulations and best practices during construction activities.
- Developing the technical resources of the facilities units, while at the same time providing leadership to ensure efficient and cost-effective support to the institution.
- Managing various financial aspects for multiple operational and project accounts
The duties and responsibilities of this position occur in a 24/7 environment. Therefore, working extended hours, holidays, or varied hours is required.
Outstanding Benefits Package
Working at UB comes with benefits that exceed salary alone. There are personal rewards including comprehensive health and retirement plan options. We also focus on creating and sustaining a healthy mix of work, personal and academic pursuit – all in an effort to support your work-life effectiveness. Visit our benefits website to learn about our benefit packages.
The University at Buffalo is SUNY’s most comprehensive public research university, and an outstanding place to work. UB amplifies ambition for faculty and staff by offering endless possibilities to achieve more. Here, people from all backgrounds and cultures challenge and inspire each other to discover, learn and succeed. Dedicated staff and engaged faculty collaborate to further knowledge and understanding, and develop tenacious graduates who are valued for their talents and their impact on global society. Visit our website to learn more about the University at Buffalo.
University at Buffalo is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and, in keeping with our commitment, welcomes all to apply including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
A Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Architecture or related field is required. Proven supervision / leadership experience including planning, managing and developing major construction projects. Proven track record of establishing and managing project deadlines and budgets. Excellent customer service, interpersonal and communications skills are required.
Preference will be given to candidates with experience in a wide range of project types such as research laboratories, classrooms, lecture halls, academic and administrative offices, and student housing or campus planning infrastructure. Demonstrated managerial skills in a unionized environment are also preferred.