Operations Support Manager (0517U), SAIT 29276
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
The Division of Student Affairs advances the learning and personal growth of students by providing leadership, services, and opportunities that enable students to succeed in and contribute to a diverse and global society. Student Affairs Information Technologies (SAIT), a department within the Division, provides and supports the technology and computing services for the Division. SAIT supports many of the services provided to students, the Division of Student Affairs, and the university community.
SAIT consists of 30 full-time career staff and 70+ part-time student staff. The department is organized into four teams: Student Technologies, Development & Operations, Strategic Initiatives, and Information Security.
The Operations team within Student Affairs Information Technologies is responsible for the management of the production environments and infrastructure that support the business needs of the Division of Student Affairs. This team is responsible for Windows server administration, file server storage management, database administration, active directory management, firewall management, networking installation and configuration, server security, system backups, advanced desktop support, and monitoring of services for availability, Point of Sale system technical support.
This position is responsible for managing, supporting, installing, and maintaining a complex environment that is crucial to the academic, residential, and core business objectives of SAIT. This position works to develop and implement complex systems in collaboration with customers, residents, vendors, and staff across campus. Responsibilities include managing aspects of various network attached equipment and related infrastructure, point-of-sale equipment, digital signage, and other Internet of Things (IoT) devices. Support responsibilities include but are not limited to the research, installation and coordination, and management of similar devices, and the quick and timely resolution of problems.
- Manages the analysis of the needs of functional departments and works to establish priorities and feasibility studies and systems design and implementation; directs subordinate staff as appropriate.
- Establishes and recommends changes to policies which affect the department.
- Manages issues, projects and initiatives of moderate scope, complexity and impact.
- Coordinates efforts of all staff on the Operations team to ensure optimal uptime of division resources.
- Establishes a long term infrastructure roadmap including strategy to utilize the appropriate use of cloud services. Assists with and directs disaster recovery and business continuity planning.
- Manages through subordinate staff and supervisors the planning, design, implementation, and support of the Residential Housing data communications network, in partnership with campus Telecom..
- Monitors the daily operation of department/section through subordinate staff and supervisors, the coordination of activities of a department with responsibility for results in terms of costs, methods, and employees.
- Interacts regularly with members of staff and units across the campus.
- Manages the security of campus information systems access.
- Establishes security systems, appropriate firewall standards and criteria.
- Frequently review system security policies and ensure compliance with campus security guidelines. Work closely with the campus' Security Team to conduct frequent security scans and review.
- Manages through subordinate staff and supervisors the development and testing of complex network attached devices, diagnostic tools and applications, manage and maintain support for unique network attached devices, including point of sale equipment, digital signage, card access equipment, time clocks, and other Internet of Things' devices in support of departmental business systems.
- Delegates work, monitors work and ensures objectives associated with timelines and deliverables are being achieved.
- Develops and monitors operational and budget processes, staff FTE, finance, human resources and space planning.
- Directly and indirectly supervises a student team in collaboration with the Student Leadership Coordinator and the student leads; participates in the annual cycle of recruitment, hiring and training; shares responsibility for developing and sustaining a strong student leadership program.
- Maintains a positive relationship with other departments and personnel that will assist in the development, funding, promotion, and/or public relations of the Division of Student Affairs and SAIT. Supports the success and objectives of SAIT.
- Identifies and selects training opportunities for professional development. Participates in cross-functional group discussions, activities and other training efforts.
- Adheres to University and departmental policies, procedures, and professional practices as well as city, state, and federal laws. Also responsible for adherence to UC Berkeley's Data Classification Standard, Minimum Security Standards for Networked Devices and Minimum Security Standards for Electronic Information.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Requires full knowledge of own area of functional responsibility.
- Requires the ability to gather, organize, and analyze data in the completion of a variety of functional assignments.
- Must be able to communicate effectively in writing and verbally.
- Thorough understanding of various network hardware platforms, network related protocols and software, and related technical standards critical to the operation of interconnected networks.
- Has skills and abilities associated with managing the internal information systems functions, data communications network, and campus security systems.
- Demonstrated experience in managing technical staff.
- Requires ability to understand business needs and how business systems can support those needs.
- Experienced in leading change management activities and managing their impact across the unit or department.
- Experience in the management of ongoing technology infrastructure acquisition and expansion, to include the identification and integration of suitable emerging technologies.
- Leadership / management skills, including persuasion, negotiation, and mentoring.
- Must posess effective project management skill sets.
- Bachelors degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
- Experience with managing hybrid cloud computing.
- Knowledge and experience working with network management systems.
- Knowledge of campus and department processes and procedures.
- ITIL V3 Foundations training and certification.
Salary & Benefits
This is an exempt, monthly paid position. The annual salary range of the position is $135,000.00 to $155,000.00, commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Please include, as part of your application a brief (1-2 paragraph) statement on your contributions to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging in your professional experience.
Advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion are fundamental to our UC Berkeley Principles of Community, which states that "every member of the UC Berkeley community has a role in sustaining a safe, caring, and humane environment in which these values can thrive.
The minimum posting duration of this position is 14 calendar days. The department will not initiate the application review process prior to January 19, 2022.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=29276&PostingSeq=1