Worcester Polytechnic Institute - WPI
JOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARY
This academic advisor position supports undergraduate students from a developmental advising approach, educates students in a flexible and creative learning environment, and is an active participant in collaborating with students, faculty and staff to promote academic success.
This position is an integral member of the advising office, by helping students identify resources to support them in their academic, career, and personal goals as they interactively engage in the local and global environment.
We currently have two openings available!
- Assesses student's stage of development (academic, career, and personal) and promotes student growth by determining suitable developmental goals and tasks. Assists students in developing decision-making skills relevant to educational options and possible outcomes.
- Provides supplemental academic advising support to a caseload of first year, sophomore, junior, and senior students.
- Supports academically at-risk students, including students who are not making satisfactory academic progress.
- Provides individual coaching sessions for students based on an evaluation of the student's academic and personal background.
- Provides options for students pertaining to course selection. Connects students with faculty advisors and resources.
- Identifies opportunities to collaborate with students, staff, and faculty to facilitate the holistic educational development of students as well their physical, mental, and emotional well-being.
- Responsible for the reporting and coordination of resources provided to students on academic warning and probation. Teaches courses pertinent to academic support of academically at-risk students.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- A Master's degree preferred (Bachelor's required). At least 1 year experience in academic advising and /or student development at the college level preferred.
- An ability to communicate effectively with students, faculty, staff, and parents; needs to be able to handle sensitive situations with confidentiality.
- Must be comfortable in a technological based educational environment.
- Ability to work in a team centered and collaborative environment.
- Applicants must have demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace and/or commitment to do so as an employee at WPI.
Please include a cover letter and a minimum of three references along with a resume for consideration.
WPI requires employees to be fully-vaccinated for COVID-19. For additional information on WPI's response to COVID-19, refer to https://www.wpi.edu/we-are-wpi
United States of America (Exempt)
WPI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability. We are seeking individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences who will contribute to a culture of creativity and collaboration, inclusion, problem solving and change making.
To apply, visit: https://wpi.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/WPI_External_Career_Site/job/Worcester/Academic-Advisor_R0001645-1
WPI is a vibrant, active, and diverse community of extraordinary students, world-renowned faculty, and state of the art research facilities. At WPI, we have competitive and comprehensive benefits, including health insurance, long-term care, retirement, tuition assistance, flexible spending accounts, work-life balance and much more.
Diversity & Inclusion at WPI
WPI is committed to creating an inclusive workplace where everyone feels valued and respected; a place where every student, faculty and staff member can be themselves, so that they can study, live, and work comfortably, to reach their full potential, and make meaningful contributions in order to meet departmental and institutional goals. WPI thrives on innovative practice and welcomes diverse perspectives, insight, and people from diverse lived experiences, to enhance the community environment and propel the institution to the next level in a competitive, global marketplace.