Associate Director, Academic Counseling and Exploration
St. Edward's University
Associate Director, Academic Counseling and Exploration
St. Edward's University of Austin, Texas invites applications for the position of Associate Director, Academic Counseling and Exploration. This position will work with the Director of Academic Counseling and Support Programs to provide leadership and supervision to a team of Success Coaches in advising and counseling students in the Academic Counseling and Exploration Office (ACE). The Associate Director coordinates the academic orientation and first-year transition of new students and supports the university's goals through developing and implementing a student-development approach to academic advising. The Associate Director supports student development in the Holy Cross tradition and provides customized, holistic, and proactive academic advising and case-management services to positively influence the student's experience, as well as student retention, persistence, graduation rates, and post-graduation opportunities.
Essential Responsibilities and Duties:
- Assist Director in creating, implementing, leading, and analyzing academic advising and retention programs for students.
- Directly supervise a team of Success Coaches. Act as a point of reference or subject matter expert for any questions as well as be able to direct their work and evaluate their current student caseload.
- Coordinate, plan, and implement special projects such as, but not limited to, an early alert/intervention program, advisor program, success programming, career development initiatives.
- Assist Director in monitoring and evaluating ACE services/special services operations, policies, and procedures for effectiveness and efficiency and determine necessary revisions.
- Work with the Director to organize and coordinate information, materials, and schedule for advising and registration during freshmen, transfer, and international orientation.
- Assist Director in the coordination of information from admissions and registrar's office.
- As a member of the ACE Leadership Team, provide seamless services and ensure referral and/or collaborative instructional support to students seeking help with academic needs.
- Act as a liaison between ACE and the Schools (Dean's office, Department Chairs, and Faculty)
- Work independently and collaboratively with members of the campus community in planning and implementing retention programs for students (i.e., new student orientation).
- Provide a high level of individual and general student care to include:
- Advise students in academic program planning based on the student's academic and career goals, curricular requirements and policies, and on opportunities that can enhance students' collegiate success and career goals.
- Perform college retention outreach and programming and participate in student success initiatives.
- Collaborate with other departments within Student Support Services, including Academic Support Programs, Disability Services, Career, and Professional Development, and Academic Departments to provide integrated advising to all first-year students.
- Counsel students in the plan of study, choice of major and other aspects of educational development and planning.
- Facilitate access to other support services
- Advise students, exercising discretion and independent judgment, on their selection of an academic major and/or career field.
- Work independently and collaboratively with members of the campus community in planning and implementing retention programs for students.
- Other duties as needed
For consideration, Bachelor's and Master's degrees required in a closely related discipline from an appropriately accredited institution. The Associate Director must have a minimum of five years' experience in academic advising/counseling in an institution of higher education. Demonstrated supervisory experience. Ability and experience in working with students from diverse backgrounds in student mentoring, tutoring, supplemental instruction, freshman transition issues, and students with academic challenges. Candidates for the position must demonstrate their ability to contribute to an evolving student experience team and be able to embrace change. Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with individuals at various levels of an academic environment including but not limited to: students, faculty, staff, and alumni. Must possess an unencumbered driver's license and the ability to successfully pass a criminal background check.
For detailed information, please scroll to the bottom of the page to download the job description.
The University offers an excellent TOTAL REWARDS package!
United Healthcare Medical & Rx Coverage (HSA & FSA Available)
Sun Life Financial Dental Plan
Sun Life Financial Vision Plan
Short Term Disability (STD) Insurance
Long Term Disability (LTD) Insurance
Life & Accidental Death & Dismemberment (AD&D) Insurance
Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
Annual Leave & Paid Sick Leave
Retirement Plan (TIAA) Employee 5%/Employer Match 7%
Services & Discounts
HOW TO APPLY
Interested applicants should submit an online application at; https://stedwards.applicantpro.com
. For full consideration, please submit all application materials:
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:
- A current resume or CV;
- A cover letter addressing the candidate's interest in and qualifications for the position;
- A statement on the candidate's ideas, contributions, and goals for advancing Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion while serving in this position; and
- The contact information for three professional references.
St. Edward's University, as an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. The University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.
ABOUT ST. EDWARD'S UNIVERSITY
Founded in 1885 by the Congregation of Holy Cross, St. Edward's University is a private, Catholic liberal arts institution of more than 4,000 diverse students located in Austin, Texas. St. Edward's emphasizes critical thinking and ethical practices, as well as small classes, personalized learning, and exciting internship opportunities. The community atmosphere extends to the approximately 800 faculty and staff who work together to make the university a welcoming yet challenging environment for students. An overview of St. Edward's University employee benefits is available at; https://www.stedwards.edu/human-resources/benefits-summary
OTHER ITEMS TO KNOW
We are not offering sponsorship at this time.
A criminal history background check is required for finalist(s) under consideration for this position.
About St. Edward's University
Founded in 1885 by the Congregation of Holy Cross, St. Edward's University is a private, Catholic liberal arts institution of more than 4,600 diverse students located in Austin, Texas. St. Edward's emphasizes critical thinking and ethical practices, as well as small classes, personalized learning and exciting internship opportunities. The community atmosphere extends to the approximately 800 faculty and staff who work together to make the university a welcoming yet challenging environment for students. An overview of St. Edward's University employee benefits is available at https://www.stedwards.edu/human-resources/benefits-summary
About Austin, Texas
Consistently ranked as one of the "top metropolitan areas to live in," by numerous independent media outlets, Austin attracts approximately 50 new residents a day and has been one of the nation's fasting growing cities. St. Edward's is in the heart of this thriving, entrepreneurial and cosmopolitan city, providing students, faculty and staff with opportunities to live, learn and grow in an environment that offers a wealth of resources and opportunities. In fact, Austin is home to 17 companies on the Inc. 5000 list and boasts 1.7 times the national average of startups. Additionally, as one of the world's great technology centers, Austin, sometimes referred to as "Silicon Hills," is home to technology heavyweights like Dell, National Instruments and Silicon Labs.
For more on the City of Austin's offerings, visit The Austin Convention & Visitors Bureau
How to Apply
Interested applicants should submit an online application at https://stedwards.applicantpro.com
Please include resume, cover letter, and three employment references. No Calls Please.
St. Edward's University is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage women and minorities to apply to our vacancies and hire only U.S. Citizens and documented workers. We do not offer sponsorship at this time.